Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Can I use this 99% Ethanol to clean VCR and video heads?

I have found this 99% Ethanol with Brucin

Can I use it to clean VCRs and video heads?
Or should I look for ordinary 99% IPA?

ABS 99% - SDA 40 BRU DR-ME
(I can't upload a picture)
Old 07-17-2023, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think I would stick with isopropyl alcohol.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:08 AM
M is for Memory

I've had decent luck with the common ~70% rubbing alcohol and a strip of copy paper held stationary oner the tape path then rotating the drum by hand. The higher proof stuff dries faster, but any rubbing alcohol should work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-17-2023, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wouldn't use alcohol on video heads. Ampex recommended using their head cleaning solution, or, if you didn't have that, Xylene. This is from the manuals on Ampex 1" type C machines. The reasoning for this is that alcohol increases the tape to head drum friction. I have had tapes that wouldn't even run through the machine after using alcohol, but ran fine after cleaning the tape path with Xylene. The effect is less on consumer vcrs due to the smaller head drum but I would still stick with Xylene for vcrs. Also using alcohol containing water is a bad idea for any heads because the water will get down in the gap and cause rust, especially with repeated use.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been using Ronsonol lighter fluid for over 25 years on VHS and Beta machines with excellent results. I also use it for cleaning the scum off of rubber pinch rollers and camera lenses with oil based stains.

I've used stove alcohol before on VHS and it was fine.
Audiokarma
Old 07-18-2023, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
alcohol increases the tape to head drum friction.
Wouldn't the alcohol dry and since it shouldn't leave a residue, make no difference?

I think it is important to make sure whatever you use leaves zero residue and has dried completely. Sure do miss FreonTF!
Old 07-19-2023, 04:16 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

I wouldn't use xylene on any video head that is secured to the mounting base with a poly adhesive, it will break down the bond over time. Speaking from experience on this one.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redk9258 View Post
Wouldn't the alcohol dry and since it shouldn't leave a residue, make no difference?

I think it is important to make sure whatever you use leaves zero residue and has dried completely. Sure do miss FreonTF!
I usually like to follow up with a small piece of paper to remove anything that got left behind. Regardless what you use there always seems to be something left that a dry paper will pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
I wouldn't use xylene on any video head that is secured to the mounting base with a poly adhesive, it will break down the bond over time. Speaking from experience on this one.
I would be concerned about this too. I've seen it peal paint and I'd want to stay well away from the head windings. I've used carburetor cleaner (Xylene / Toluene mix) on a few really filthy machines. One surveillance time lapse Sony machine comes to mind that I don't think was ever cleaned or serviced and the hour meter was into to 100,000's.
The key is to use just enough solvent to clean the area you're working with and no more so that it doesn't travel.

Every now and again though you run into a VCR that's never been properly cleaned and has just had a cleaner tape stuffed in it for the last 10 or 20 years. When you run into those, more often than not you're not cleaning it with alcohol. Even when you think it's clean if you follow up with something stronger you'll have a dirty Q-tip come out. This is especially the case in the fine head grooves on VHS drums. I like to clean those with a Q tip pressed in there and turning the head by hand counter clockwise.

It's always interesting to see what everyone's using for cleaner and to hear their cleaning methods. Some swear by alcohol and I've caught a lot of flak over the years using lighter fluid or anything stronger even though I've cleaned probably around 1000 or more machines (mostly VHS) with it. Xylene is an interesting recommenation coming staight from Ampex for their 1 inch machines.

Last edited by Tube TV; 07-20-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do you clean the grooves too? These are for air, right, to ensure the tape does not stick to the drum?
Old 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVtyro View Post
Do you clean the grooves too? These are for air, right, to ensure the tape does not stick to the drum?
Yeah. They're a trap for tape gunk.
I rotate the drum counter clockwise with a Q-tip pressed on them. Counterclock seems to remove it better cause it was set in place with the drum turning clockwise.

Also look for a streak of tape oxide just ahead and behind the actual heads. Be very careful cleaning in this area.
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2023, 05:39 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

Xylene will wick by nature and soften the poly adhesive. I destroyed a head drum on a Sony BVH2000 using xylene trying to dissolve some stubborn gunk, someone covered the head chips with adhesive tape to "protect" them.