Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2023, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

1982 Zenith 25" System 3 with Space Phone

I picked up this 1982 25" Zenith System 3 console with Space Phone and the deluxe audio amplifier for free from an estate sale.

I can tell that the 9-160 board has been serviced (good luck finding one that hasn't, LOL). At first, I thought it was a case of simply not having CRT heater voltage, since I heard HV come up and I had sound (noise from the speaker, no signal connected yet) and evidence of channel change. However, after listening closely, it sounds like the HV is ramping up at turn on and immediately shutting down, which is confusing because I thought everything was powered from the flyback and it seems like if the horizontal sweep circuit was shutting down, then that would kill everything.

Later, I'll connect a signal to the set and see if I can at least get audio from the DTV box, and I'll put an HV meter on the 2nd anode, to see if the HV is ramping up and then going down.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I picked up this 1982 25" Zenith System 3 console with Space Phone and the deluxe audio amplifier for free from an estate sale.

I can tell that the 9-160 board has been serviced (good luck finding one that hasn't, LOL). At first, I thought it was a case of simply not having CRT heater voltage, since I heard HV come up and I had sound (noise from the speaker, no signal connected yet) and evidence of channel change. However, after listening closely, it sounds like the HV is ramping up at turn on and immediately shutting down, which is confusing because I thought everything was powered from the flyback and it seems like if the horizontal sweep circuit was shutting down, then that would kill everything.

Later, I'll connect a signal to the set and see if I can at least get audio from the DTV box, and I'll put an HV meter on the 2nd anode, to see if the HV is ramping up and then going down.
Alternatively, you can probe the video output +B (for output transistors for driving the CRT cathodes). Generally is anything from 175 to 200V in most TV's from this era. Too large value can trigger the HV protection (if TV have one).
Old 12-21-2023, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here are the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith A.jpg (88.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith B.jpg (135.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith C.jpg (73.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith D.jpg (129.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith E.jpg (104.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-21-2023, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post

Somewhere I have notes of what I used to do to those 160s.

In the meantime, even when only a few years old they had problems with electrolytics, so check the large filter in the corner. IIRC, they are a double electrolytic and if one side is open, they'll shutdown after start.

John
Old 12-21-2023, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have fixed many of those boards they was troublesome. not to mention all the cold solder joints on them.
Audiokarma