Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Lets be bad guys.

Zenith console any tips?

I bought this today at an estate sale $20 woohoo! Problem is I am missing speaker,ant.,knobs,the pointer is broken and it looks like I am missing some other items. I do have the glass,the case has some scratchs but I can fix most of that with some lacquar. I would like to repair the radio but how would I go about getting parts other then Epay?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Lets be bad guys.

A few other pics. It was disassembled when I bought it. oops ok here are the other pics

Last edited by Donny; 09-08-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I worked on one of these last year. There will be a lot of bad wiring in there. I disassembeled the IF cans and connected new wires. There are some shielded cables made up of rubber covered wire that disintegrates in a spring wire braid...I replaced these with coax cable like RG-59 and it worked great after re-aligning. We also made new knobs for it out of wood in our shop.

You can stick a PM speaker in there...just replace the field winding with a filter choke or the highest resistance winding of an old power or output transformer. You will probably need an output transformer too as it is on the speaker if I recall right.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Replace all the paper/wax capacitors and the electrolytic power supply filters. Add a power fuse and a B+ fuse. Test the tubes if you can. Nice find for $20. Looks like 1940-41? Model number should be stamped somewhere, starting with the number of tubes - such as 8S-563 which is an 8-tuber.

Check out the Antique Radio Forum for lots of advice and info, also search the rec.antiques.radio+phono newsgroup archives at Google Groups.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 PM
AK Member

I have a speaker and antenna. Maybe a spare pointer. Yours is a model 10S464. Book list at $180 to $270 so you have some room to play with. You will never regret restoring this beauty. The knob is a large white one with a "thumb type knob behind it on the outer post which controls the broadcast bands. Be very careful with the automatic buttons. The wires are microscopic and easy to ruin. Send me a PM.

Chad, thanks for the tip on the braided wires. I think I may be having a tuner problem due that problem on an old Zenith 53 I am restoring.
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, Donny, you REALLY got somethin' there ! My former pastor had a similar one in his office when I was a kid & it sounded GREAT...-Sandy G.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Lets be bad guys.

This one is my biggest radio project yet and maybe more then I can handle. It looks like I am missing some of the switches,I've never done an alignment. I have done a few recaps with 2 out of 4 radios working when I was done...I know I can make it look nice lol
Old 09-08-2005, 07:02 PM
AK Member

Donny, you can get a free schematic download from Nostalgia Air. Shoot a pic of the back of the cab. You can get pretty good a alignment just by trial and error once you get the electrics dialed in.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Lets be bad guys.

this is a pic of the back side of the buttons on the right side (my guess for station presets)

thats all I have of these buttons is whats pictured and 3 wires with bullet plugs.
back side of other set

this is the rest
Old 09-12-2005, 08:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

You can do a real good alignment with just an RF generator and your ears, once you get all your caps and wiring repaired. If you can pick up radio stations you may not even need the RF generator.
The Sams or Riders often will have the order to adjust the coils or trimmer caps but is not an absolute necessity.

If you can receive all of the radio stations across the dial you just need to tune one in and adjust the broadcast band RF and Mixer trimmer capacitors in the RF and mixer stages. Don't adjust the oscillator trimmer. Then adjust each of the 4 IF trimmer capacitors till the sound is strongest. Also, your tuning eye tube is a very good indicator of signal strength and you can use it to peak the adjustments. Then tune in a weak station and adjust for the strongest reception.

When I worked on this model I was not able to receive any stations below about 700 khz, had to use the RF generator to generate a signal at 550 KC and adjust the oscillator adjustments till the signal could be picked up. Also the RF generator is good for checking and aligning the shortwave reception. There will be different RF, mixer and osc. trimmers for shortwave.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 09-12-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Lets be bad guys.

here is an auction of some parts from the same radio as mine. See all the goodies I am missing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
It almost looks as tho I need everything but the cab!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

One set of the buttons is for the tone control switches, it looks like you have those. The station preset assembly is a module which connects with several wires to the chassis...looks like you are missing the module. It has coils and variable capacitors on it; personally I just would prefer to tune in on the dial and would not miss the preset feature.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Lets be bad guys.

So it will not affect the radio other then just missing the presets? If so that is good news!