Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:38 PM
bgoodoldboy

Philco model 16x

Hey folks, I am new to old radios i have 2, an old zenith 12-s-370 that is currently being restored professionally, and a philco model 16x. I found the philco in my neighbors trash and it is actually in great shape. I was wondering if anyone knows what it might be worth?same for the zenith? Thanks for your help!!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Administrator

If you don't want that 16X, I'll gladly take it off your hands

The 16X is probably Philco's finest shortwave receivers ever made. Shadow tuning, and excellent sound. Made in 1935 as I recall.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just bought a 16X about 2 months ago. I brought it up on a variac and surprisingly it came to life with no hum from the original filter caps. I tuned a couple of shortwave stations that were playing orchestra music and the set demonstrated great tone. For worth, there was one on ebay a couple of weeks ago that went for about $150 IIRC. I paid $10 for mine and it needs some cabinet work.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 AM
bgoodoldboy

Thanks for the replies. I want to restore the philco myself at some point. What is variac? I know your not supposed to plug these things in but I did anyway seeing how i found it in the trash and the thing works perfect!!! I was gettin all kinds of stations including chinese stations!! Thanks for the help!!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:20 PM
bgoodoldboy

I have some pics but dont know how to put them on!!
Audiokarma
Old 09-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Instead of using the Quick Reply, hit "Post Reply", and there you will see all of the good stuff, including managing attachments.....