Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Tinker

Rca ctc-16h

I picked up the RCA 629W in Michigan yesterday. I plugged in the set and got a blue/ green raster. Switched on the service switch and got the RGB lines. The blue and green seem very strong. The red seemed a little weaker . The convergence is off, mainly the blue with respect to Red/Green.
Overall I'm happy the CRT shows signs of life, its a 21FBP22. It looks to be original. The man I bought the set from said he bought it for his mother new in 1966. She stopped using it in the 1980's and it's been sitting since.
The first thing I tried to do is set the gray scale better, but it seems the set doesn't have enough red drive. I tried to test the emissions with an old SD-92B color kinescope emissions tester. I didn't get any readings for any of the guns.
Maybe the tester is broken or I am not using it correctly. I got the tester from the old RCA service tech years ago. Has any one ever used one. The transformer in the tester does light the filaments, only the meter shows no movement.
Also noticed the degauss coil is unplugged and there is quite a bit of crt impurity in one corner of the screen.
The set will need work with the color, rf, and high voltage circuits for sure.
I'm really not going to get into fixng this set for about a year yet. I have too many other projects on the burner still. I just wanted to verify the condition of the crt. I posted a few pictures of the sets' image and crt tester.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.jpg (47.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.jpg (95.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-007F.jpg (58.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010F.jpg (60.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg SD-92B emission checker.jpg (62.1 KB, 81 views)