Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

1959 Zenith SF185 Console

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am very new to this. My name is Jay and I just recently purchased a 1959 Zenith Radio/TT console model SF185. I definitely have some work ahead of me to get it purring but I had a few questions about the radio tuner. It had a cover glass on the radio dial that is shattered and below that was another sheet of glass with the dial numbers on it, which is also broken. I have no idea how I can go about replacing that and I was hoping I could get some suggestions. I will be replacing the dial cord this next week since that was broken as well. I picked this up because I wanted to share some of my childhood nostalgia with my kids. I grew up with an old Magnavox 8 track/TT/radio console as a kid and I loved the thing until I came home one day and my
Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwright0224 View Post
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am very new to this. My name is Jay and I just recently purchased a 1959 Zenith Radio/TT console model SF185. I definitely have some work ahead of me to get it purring but I had a few questions about the radio tuner. It had a cover glass on the radio dial that is shattered and below that was another sheet of glass with the dial numbers on it, which is also broken. I have no idea how I can go about replacing that and I was hoping I could get some suggestions. I will be replacing the dial cord this next week since that was broken as well. I picked this up because I wanted to share some of my childhood nostalgia with my kids. I grew up with an old Magnavox 8 track/TT/radio console as a kid and I loved the thing until I came home one day and my
Damaged dial glass with graphics was always thought to be a major issue with an old set. Nowadays there are people that have graphic art computer programs that recreate the graphics and print them on clear stock to be used with a piece of cut glass or clear plastic. I have no idea what someone would charge for that. You'd have to request the service here, Antique Radio Forum, or simply local print shops. You could also search these sites and eBay for the dial glass. It's a slim chance, but it can happen! Good luck.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwright0224 View Post
Sorry to see you didn't finish your quote regarding the demise of the Magnavox.
Does the Zenith have a tuner-amp chassis or a separate tuner and amp. A few models had a single chassis. It's just a hi-fi and not a stereo. If that's the one you have, I might have a dial glass.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Damaged dial glass with graphics was always thought to be a major issue with an old set. Nowadays there are people that have graphic art computer programs that recreate the graphics and print them on clear stock to be used with a piece of cut glass or clear plastic. I have no idea what someone would charge for that. You'd have to request the service here, Antique Radio Forum, or simply local print shops. You could also search these sites and eBay for the dial glass. It's a slim chance, but it can happen! Good luck.

Thanks, that gives me some hope and I will be digging around for sure.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Sorry to see you didn't finish your quote regarding the demise of the Magnavox.
Does the Zenith have a tuner-amp chassis or a separate tuner and amp. A few models had a single chassis. It's just a hi-fi and not a stereo. If that's the one you have, I might have a dial glass.
Well I’m definitely new at this sorry. My ex had put it out to be picked up with the garbage. I was less than thrilled. I will attach a pic of the tuner amp chassis.
Audiokarma
Old 05-28-2018, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A00D81D0-5161-4D86-B81C-1CECE5D26940.jpg (93.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 0589D061-BECC-4DC9-8EE6-0D09749877F5.jpg (70.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:57 AM
returning hobbyist

Zenith had several models and used both a vertical and horizontal orientation of the dial. I have a 1959 Zenith SF2560 console with the same front, only it's mounted horizontally. It also has the P-P amp which puts out quite a bit of volume. Dial string broke a while back and I did replace it, but I'm going to have to open it up again as it's starting to slip. One of my first recaps and repairs, and this one was pretty bad. Here's a front shot.

Hope you find a replacement.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith SF2560 front.jpg (145.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSteve View Post
Zenith had several models and used both a vertical and horizontal orientation of the dial. I have a 1959 Zenith SF2560 console with the same front, only it's mounted horizontally. It also has the P-P amp which puts out quite a bit of volume. Dial string broke a while back and I did replace it, but I'm going to have to open it up again as it's starting to slip. One of my first recaps and repairs, and this one was pretty bad. Here's a front shot.

Hope you find a replacement.
Steve
Thanks. That’s a nice console you got
Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you haven't already, for the dial you could check with radiodaze.com
Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
If you haven't already, for the dial you could check with radiodaze.com

Thank you, I really appreciate it.