Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Resident Lunatic

Westinghouse H840CK15

I picked up the Westinghouse today from Dwight here in the Metro-Detroit area. My father went with me, and after going out for a late dinner, we decided we weren't going to try to carry the chassis plus 15GP22 up to my walk-up apartment.

Since I have sold off most of the items that my parents were very graciously allowing me to keep in their unused basement, we decided to take it out to their house near Flint to stay temporarily. He called my mother, explained the situation, and she begrudgingly allowed the Westy in the house. Thanks Ma!

We set both chassis on a table in the main room and moved the cabinet back deeper into storage.

We turned immediately to testing the 15GP22, and were pleased with some slightly encouraging signs. The heaters lit normally using my regulated 6.3 volt supply, and drew normal current. It passed a date with my tesla-coil, and I put it on the Beltron using hastily made clip leads. To our surprise, the tube shows excellent emissions on all three guns, with the red looking the strongest, and the blue looking slightly weaker than the green (and taking a tad longer to "wake up").

Neither he nor I saw any pink or purple glow between any elements in the gun like I have when testing other gassy 15GP22s.

The meter was not pegged on any gun, but we still haven't tested cutoff (the Beltron can not do this). Like the idiot I am, I left my Sencore at the museum by mistake, so I will have to wait for further testing in November when I get back from Ohio. I think the Sencore will be a bit more conclusive. If I find I can get the meter to peg on the Sencore with certain settings of cutoff, then it is clear the tube is gassy. If cutoff responds normally, then the tube is quite possibly good.)

Tonight was by no means conclusive, and I'm going to continue to assume the tube is a dud. That said, I may get a pleasant surprise when I get the tube on the Sencore, and eventually (God willing) a working 15 inch chassis.

Thank you again Dwight!

Last edited by benman94; 10-06-2017 at 10:03 PM.