Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
Looks like there still could be issues with the vertical.. As for the swirlyness in certain areas of the pic, that could possibly be the Leader pattern generator.. Those things usually need to be recapped to function properly.. I have one also that's a bit touchy.. The convergence it off quit a bit I see..
Well I hooked up the leader to my flatscreen and my 8-pt-7032T and there were no issues whatsoever. But I guess I should try replacing some resistors maybe or just replace everything in the vertical board?

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

work one issue at a time. start with linearity/vert height. the two controls are interactive, so you have to go back and forth between them.

The wiggle at the top is being exaggerated by the linearity issue.

remaining wiggle maybe could be the generator but you want to work one issue at a time.

after you get the height/lin controls worked out, you can try adj the horz hold and see if that helps with the wiggle or any remaining hooking at the top.

if it does not you may need to look a the sync separator or the horz anti hunt network, more on those later.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyMan View Post
Well I hooked up the leader to my flatscreen and my 8-pt-7032T and there were no issues whatsoever. But I guess I should try replacing some resistors maybe or just replace everything in the vertical board?
def do NOT replace everything on the vert board until you have tried the adjustments AND tube swapping.

Yes you may need to replace some parts, but best to do one thing at a time with starting with the least invasive.

If that does not work then you want to look at the type of cap, not all are prone to failure. Resistors have to be way off before you start getting issues. I rarely find them to be the issue EXCEPT the plate load resistor that are connected to the boost voltage in the vert. since this is your 1st set IF it comes to that, you should only replace one or two parts at a time. there are a couple in the osc circuit that can be critical, but generally only need to be deal with if the adjustment pots can not bring into working range.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
def do NOT replace everything on the vert board until you have tried the adjustments AND tube swapping.

Yes you may need to replace some parts, but best to do one thing at a time with starting with the least invasive.

If that does not work then you want to look at the type of cap, not all are prone to failure. Resistors have to be way off before you start getting issues. I rarely find them to be the issue EXCEPT the plate load resistor that are connected to the boost voltage in the vert. since this is your 1st set IF it comes to that, you should only replace one or two parts at a time.
well I did replace all the browndrops and one HV cap on the vert and I replaced both 6aq5a's with their military counterpart 9005. But it was a lot worse before I recapped.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Messed with the linearity and centering and this is what I got http://i.imgur.com/ydnXUyy.jpg

Audiokarma
Old 06-30-2015, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

linearity still way off. did you work both the height and lin controls, they work together. this is not digital style adjustments, you have to work them both and they interact. My guess is your are running out of height and trying to fill the screen with linearity.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

if you seem to lack vert height, check for a 1 meg resistor on the vert height control pot. this should go from there to the boost supply.

look for a 1.8 meg resistor on the vert PCB, both this and the 1.0 meg can be checked in circuit (they are isolated by caps or tubes).

I don't recall but see if there is a paper cap .047 off the 10k resistor from the BB term of the fly (should be on the bottom of the chassis). check that resistor and replace that cap if its a paper. If its a disk its prob ok.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
linearity still way off. did you work both the height and lin controls, they work together. this is not digital style adjustments, you have to work them both and they interact. My guess is your are running out of height and trying to fill the screen with linearity.
Yeah I'm pretty clueless right now

Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
if you seem to lack vert height, check for a 1 meg resistor on the vert height control pot. this should go from there to the boost supply.

look for a 1.8 meg resistor on the vert PCB, both this and the 1.0 meg can be checked in circuit (they are isolated by caps or tubes).

I don't recall but see if there is a paper cap .047 off the 10k resistor from the BB term of the fly (should be on the bottom of the chassis). check that resistor and replace that cap if its a paper. If its a disk its prob ok.
Will take it back out tomorrow and poke around some more.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would definitely not replace everything that you already replaced on the vertical board. If you look at this article, you'll see exactly which caps I replaced on that board, along with the Sams diagram of the board:

http://antiqueradio.org/RCACTC-7ColorTelevision.htm

I basically replaced all of the "maroon drops" as well as any bumblebee caps.

Height and linearity controls work together, and they affect each other somewhat. Try making the picture too large vertically with the height control. Then adjust the linearity control to make the top and bottom squares more equal. Then readjust the height control to make it a little smaller. Then adjust the linearity control again. By going back and forth, making small changes, soon you'll get an idea how these controls affect each other and you should be able to get a screen with normal linearity.

If you still can't get good linearity (and a screen that is filled vertically), then it is time to look at other components in the vertical circuits -- AFTER you double-check all of your replacements on that board to make sure that you didn't accidentally install a cap of the wrong value.

It's possible you'll want to replace more caps on the main chassis, but that's a question for another day. That chassis contains the color circuitry and the gospel is that you worry about color AFTER you have obtained a normal black and white picture.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
I would definitely not replace everything that you already replaced on the vertical board. If you look at this article, you'll see exactly which caps I replaced on that board, along with the Sams diagram of the board:

http://antiqueradio.org/RCACTC-7ColorTelevision.htm

I basically replaced all of the "maroon drops" as well as any bumblebee caps.

Height and linearity controls work together, and they affect each other somewhat. Try making the picture too large vertically with the height control. Then adjust the linearity control to make the top and bottom squares more equal. Then readjust the height control to make it a little smaller. Then adjust the linearity control again. By going back and forth, making small changes, soon you'll get an idea how these controls affect each other and you should be able to get a screen with normal linearity.

If you still can't get good linearity (and a screen that is filled vertically), then it is time to look at other components in the vertical circuits -- AFTER you double-check all of your replacements on that board to make sure that you didn't accidentally install a cap of the wrong value.

It's possible you'll want to replace more caps on the main chassis, but that's a question for another day. That chassis contains the color circuitry and the gospel is that you worry about color AFTER you have obtained a normal black and white picture.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
I did what you did I replaced all the maroon drops and one high voltage cap.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Turned it on again this morning and was preparing to follow Phil's instructions when I heard a loud Pop! My guess is it was either a cap,a resistor,or the piece of foil I used to make one end of the fuse make contact with the metal contact. Nothing was affected by it it seems. No loss of HV no loss of picture no loss of the already garbage horizontal hold. But of course I immediately pulled the plug. Should I take the chassis back out and inspect or should I continue considering nothing seemed to be damaged?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM

No matter what I do I cant get the screen to fill completely with the height control and I cant get anything symmetrical with the linearity adjustment. I am confused as to how they work together because Ive tried everything.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

check the resistors I mentioned.
check pin voltages of vert tubes.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
check the resistors I mentioned.
check pin voltages of vert tubes.
Alright will do... The horizontal hold is so incredibly bad. What should I check in that section?

Audiokarma