Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
BTW...If this is really CADMIUM...you do NOT want to BREATHE the dust from it. ? I am not an "alarmist" by ANY stretch of the imagination"..BUT SOME things are VERY dangerous...and CADMIUM is at the TOP of that list !! I would say WORSE to breathe than ASBESTOS !!

use a RESPIRATOR or at least a good MASK over you nose and mouth...BEFORE yo mess much with those socket pins !! And try to have a LOT of airflow around you--to rtemove any build-up of cadmium diust in the air !!
Well I did clean the tube socket (I used water on a rag to keep the dust down) and then I used a paper clip to clean out the sockets fully and sure enough after a good cleaning the 12AX7 tube came to life (along with the 60 hz hum from the bad filter caps although surprisingly enough the 60 hz hum wasn't very loud it wasn't nearly as loud as I was expecting it to be it was actually somewhat tolerable.) Anyways the filter cap is a 20/20/20/20 @ 450 Volts and I think there was one of those on the AES Website for sale that was a can like the original so I might just get one of those and be done with it instead of having to fuss around with a terminal strip and individual caps underneath.

UPDATE: The hum I was hearing wasn't from the filter capacitors being bad, it was from a loose wire on the cartridge on the turntable assembly and I know that's what the hum was from because when I turned the volume control it lowered the volume on the humming sound which indicates that it was because of the loose wire on the cartridge and not because of bad filter caps because if it was because of bad filter caps the humming noise wouldn't of been volume dependant and it would of stayed at a constant volume no matter what the volume control was adjusted to. So I'll just resolder the loose wire on the cartridge and it should take care of the hum and it should be good to go.

One question though, if Cadmium is so bad for us, then why do they still use it in modern Ni-Cd rechargable batteries then? and why did they use Cadmium to plate radio chassises and parts if it was so bad for us?

Last edited by Captainclock; 08-17-2015 at 11:03 PM.