Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Selectavision Video Issues (CED)

We don't actually have a section that the discussion of CED players fits into and pardon me if I'm posting in the wrong section.

So As part of a large 130 CED cartridge lot (that was a fun $40 ) I got a super-basic RCA SJT-090 player. After repairing a broken loading mechanism, power switch and replacing the lone belt I now have it at a point where it acts like it's working, but it isn't.

Press power and it goes ready to accept a CED cartridge, it loads a CED no problem, the arm rolls out and the stylus drops and it begins to track normally across the disc. Meanwhile however the display just shows "--", the Fast Forward does not work and no video or audio comes out of the RF jack. (but it does obviously switch from passthrough to internal source when the player is powered on).
Press REJECT and it again acts normally and unloads the CED and lets you load it back into the sleeve. +10, +15 and +22v are good and and I can't really question the other voltages given how everything else (aside from audio and video) appears to be working. On visual inspection the cartridge APPEARS to be okay but I've never messed with CED so everything is uncharted territory for me.

I looked over at the CEDmagic forum and it's basically a ghost town now so I'm optimistic I'll get assistance there. I also looked over the troubleshooting guide CEDmagic had and nothing seemed to match up with my symptoms.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 PM
M is for Memory

The linear tracking arm that the cartridge is mounted on, does it move if you hold the fast forward button? If not, then look for a belt or other mech issue that is stopping it from advancing. When a CED player starts playing a disc it will display -- until it hits a readable track with time code in it, then it will display time in minutes and you should get video and sound. If the arm can't advance to a track with signal then the behavior you are getting would jibe with that.

I'll be away from the computer for the next ~hour, but will try to answer further questions if you have them, then.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The linear tracking arm that the cartridge is mounted on, does it move if you hold the fast forward button?
No.

The tracking assembly is gear driven (woo, no belts!) and functions properly. I can sit around and it will slowly track across the disc over an hour, then return back to the start and repeat because it does that. If what you are saying is the case then either the stylus can't get anything off any of the discs I try or that whole circuit is not functioning. I'm assuming that Fast Forward is directly tied to that time code it's not getting? Again, have no idea where to be looking.

Last edited by MIPS; 01-15-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 PM
M is for Memory

IIRC it should fast forward without being able to read the disc....I usually hold the fast forward key on mine as soon as the disc loads to get it in to the video tracks faster.

I wonder if there is some circuitry issue on yours. At the end it should not restart it should read F or E on the display and open to unload the disc. I can't quite figure on how it scans the whole disc yet shows no time on the display or any audio or video. Perhaps it is not reading a signal off the disc.

Are you familiar with the site phil's old radio's? IIRC he has a good write up on how to clean the needle that may be a good thing to do...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-15-2015, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

According to CEDmagic my model supports repeat and given that here is no way to toggle that it's probably hardwired on.

I've already read over phil's page on his Selectavision and already followed his procedures to clean the needle. I'll probably mail it out for an inspection and a rebuild if needed. It's only $35.

Last edited by MIPS; 01-18-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Good luck MIPS!!

Videodisc is amazing stuff
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

The cartridge was mailed out yesterday morning while I was on ym way to the hospital for an inflamed appendix. CEDatum should have it in a week or two for cleaning and testing.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Im sorry about your appendix buddy,I hope it gets better soon
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

The report back is that the stylus cartridge is chipped and produces no output, so now we know what was the problem. It is being rebuilt and we'll find out in a few weeks if that fixed it.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, thankfully the problem was indeed a bad cartridge. The rebuilt stylus arrived and everything worked when I dropped it into the player. I'm amazed how little it takes. It looked fine under a camera's macro lens.
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Speaking of cartridges,I think I need a new one on my record player!!!!

I dunno............... Every now and then I gotta pull the pads OUT as they dont come out far enough and the needle is resting on the cartridge itself!! (Low volume,etc)

Im glad ya got things corrected buddy