Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2021, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA CTC-16XH Smearing Issue

Currently trying to iron out a smearing issue that appears on high contrast areas, especially text. I believe this in not an uncommon problem, but I've tediously made several attempts to trace the cause with no success so far. I understand this is typically due to problems with open coils or leaky caps in the IF and Video stages...

Example 1:

Example 2:

Some test info and findings:
  • CRT tests good on emissions, about 1/3 into the good scale on a B&K 465. I don't recall what the cutoff was, but the picture is bright and clear
  • All tubes in IF section test good and have no shorts and aren't gassy
  • Performed step one in RCA service guide for peaking (max/min) IF stages with non sweeping frequency and this did NOT affect or remedy the smearing. I assume this stage of alignment is to get your stages "in the ballpark" before further refinement in the sweep gen alignment procedure?
  • Injected composite video into circuit, just before the 1st Video Amp, and observed smearing, leading me to believe the defective component should be after that stage.
  • Injected composite video into circuit, just before the 2nd Video Amp, and observed a reversed fainter image, but didn't notice smearing - not that there couldn't have been any, I just didn't see it, leading me to believe offending component to be before this stage.
  • All peaking coils' in IF and Video tested ok in terms of resistance, cold solder joints. Adjoining resistors were also tested - a couple were out of tolerance and replaced, but did not affect the smearing.
  • Replaced the video detector diode - no effect.
  • Replaced coupling caps in these sections - no effect.
  • Switched the converter box - no effect.
  • Tested continuity and resistance of Delay Line and noted about 130Ω. Even shorted the delay line to see color shift but no change to the smear.
  • Saw no cold solder joints on the underside of the IF or Chroma boards.

IF section Sams schematic:
Pt 1

Pt 2

Thoughts/questions
  • One thing that I observed was that when I jumped a couple of the peaking coils there was no effect to the picture. Could this mean that there might be shorted turns in one or more of the coils? I don't have an LCR meter, but I do have a Sencore YF-33 Ringer Yoke FLyback Tester. Not sure yet how to use that to test peaking coils.
  • Adjusting coils, traps or transformers in the IF/Video stages doesn't affect the smearing
  • Could it be poor cutoff on the CRT? The CRT is bright and clear though.

Last edited by Jon1967us; 05-23-2021 at 12:59 PM.