Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2021, 03:10 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

eBay Bait & Switch SCAM -A New Twist?

This is a follow-up to what I shared with the February ETF Zoom meeting. I recently saw a desirable AM/FM/HF portable advertised on eBay by a commercial vendor in The Netherlands on a "Buy it Now" deal. So, I did. I get a message that the radio has been shipped to me. The listing was updated to read "This item has been shipped" Then, a few days later, I received a message saying that the seller has been notified by the shipping company that the package has been lost and offered me a refund or "a substitute radio". They also asked me reply via e-mail. Having heard of this scam via the ETF crowd, I told the seller via eBay messaging that I wanted the refund for the radio and the shipping and did not want the "substitute radio". They credited my PayPal account the next day. A few weeks later, I received a box in the mail with two scruffy-looking lower-end Sangean AM-FM-HF radios (an ATS-808 and an ATS-505) and a 220VAC wall-wart that looks like a car ran over it and a dog chewed on the power cord to the device. Together, everything is perhaps worth $50, not the $136 for the original radio and shipping. Not expecting anything, I decided to get batteries for each at the store that is to Virginia what Neiman-Marcus is to Texas: Dollar Tree! Lo and behold, the radios sort of worked! (The clock on the 808 will not set. And, it was an ex-wife to change the MW offset on the 505 because of a poorly-written online manual.) After seeking advice during the ETF meeting, I went ahead left Negative feedback with a short explanation. Now, I get a message from the seller saying that the radio was sold to another customer via "another sales channel" and they "forgot" to cancel the eBay listing! And, they're offering me $15.00 to change my Negative feedback. Care to guess how long it took me to say "BS! WTF!"? I've been on eBay since 2000 with 469 positive feedbacks at 100% positive. However, I'm really tempted to say Frequency Usage Calibration Kit them and their thief vendors. Since my ex-wife's shenanigans, I do not take being lied to very well. Nor do I take a bribe offer well, either. I realize that there are some members of VK who are vendors on eBay. If you're offended by my use of the term "thief", you're welcome to explain here why. Yes, I'm thoroughly "Papa Oscared"! I realize that there are honest vendors there. And, they should pressure eBay to permanently dump the thieves. As it is, I've stayed off of eBay since this episode started. I would appreciate advice on how to handle eBay end this episode and tell the vendor to stop contacting me. Many thanks! 73!!!