Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Capacitor Manufacturers

I've only now discovered that Panasonic has discontinued manufacture of snap-in electrolytic capacitors.

Of the remaining manufacturers, which one(s) do you guys regard as making good capacitors?

I found an equivalent-spec capacitor at Mouser made by United Chemi-Con -- what do you think of them?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Not sure about United Chemi-Con, but I use 105 degree Nichicons; so far so good. The selection gets quite sparse above that temperature. Mouser stocks 608 of the snap-in types at this point.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
I've only now discovered that Panasonic has discontinued manufacture of snap-in electrolytic capacitors.

Of the remaining manufacturers, which one(s) do you guys regard as making good capacitors?

I found an equivalent-spec capacitor at Mouser made by United Chemi-Con -- what do you think of them?

Thanks!
What value and voltage?

Panasonic obsolete types continue to be stocked in depth by both Digi-Key and Mouser - unless you're needing production quantities (in which case Panasonic WILL open up the line...), you should be good. Digi-Key's selection:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...=0&pageSize=25

EPCOS is my second choice in snap-in capacitors - Panasonic and NiC Components for all others (Radial Lead and SMD). Production of types/series are single-sited for Panasonic and NiC, meaning not much variation, as compared to Nichicon, UCC, and Lelon. They produce in multiple sites, and some type/series have differences among the plants - they are using "lessons learned" from the Fukishima disaster, when Panasonic and some others had long lead times, from no power, reduced power, shipping issues and the like. Dual-siting helps reduce the impact, but led to quality problems, mostly minor electrical and physical characteristic variances.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
What value and voltage?

In particular, I was looking at 1200uF, 250V.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
In particular, I was looking at 1200uF, 250V.
This would be my personal choice. Expensive I know, but I'm going to avoid using an old adage that has been overused to the point of triteness. I'd rather say it's worth it, at least it would be to me.
Audiokarma