Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Analog cable stations broadcast at 10 bit-depth which is a very low grade picture

I have learned that the SMPTE has issued a recommendation to television stations that they should broadcast a 20 bit-depth (color depth) picture when they broadcast in high definition and that they should broadcast at 10 bit-depth (about 3 bits for each primary color) when they broadcast in standard definition.

To give you an idea of what 10 bit-depth picture (about 3 bits for each primary color) is like, it is something like watching the picture on one of those old computer monitors from the 1980s, which is a dismal picture. An extremely low grade picture; I would say you can't get a lower grade picture than that. And even if you use one of those old analog TVs you will still get that picture.

And that is a real shame. I loved to watch my old analog Zenith TV. The picture was so rich and vivid, it was fantastic!