Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Don't install NTE semiconductors in a Luxman or use improper parts in one. This is a very respected amplifier. Please don't take shortcuts. TV shop Grade semiconductors don't belong here, unless there is no other option, they won't perform correctly. And these transistors need to be suitable for this circuit. Most HiFi circuitry has specific transistor characteristics which must be adhered to for it to be stable and perform as intended.
Well unfortunately I gave up on this amplifier because I wasn't able to find the correct parts for it and I also wasn't able to track down the issue on this unit, like I thought I did. It turned out there was more wrong with this thing than those aforementioned transistors and resistors because I was able to track down some non-NTE transistors and some proper resistors for this thing but they ended up being NOS transistors I found on ebay and the resistors I ended up finding at Digi-Key, but as soon as I installed them and powered the unit up it smoked them again and I figured out it was more than likely the output transistors which were some oddball transistors that I wasn't able to track down any new replacements for without having to pay way more than I wanted to sink into the unit, or than I could afford to sink into the unit so I donated it to a local computer shop where one of the co-owners's dad was an electrical engineer for Sony for many years and enjoys repairing electronics as a hobby could work on it.