Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2004, 03:07 AM
<----Zenith C845

Question But does it work?

I was browsing on ebay a few minutes ago and came across an auction for a Zenith radio in terrible shape--cabinet broken in several places, dial escutcheon rusted . . . looks as if the set was in an accident or was dropped, etc., then left in a very damp or wet environment for months or even years (the latter might account for the rusted dial plate).

I wonder if this set even works. If so, the cracked cabinet would create a safety hazard. (I wouldn't have any radio or TV in that condition on display in my living room, either.)

I would have started the bidding at $0.01 given the condition of the cabinet, even if the radio still plays (which I doubt). As it is, the opening bid, IMO, is too high. This was probably an excellent radio (with the phono input and large "dial speaker") when it was new, but in its present condition, I'm not so sure. Perhaps it will be of some value to a collector who is willing to put some work into it, however (chassis overhaul, new cabinet). There are much better looking Zeniths of this model and others, in better shape, to be found on ebay (I've seen some of them--the models in brown cabinets, IMHO, are great looking).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=38035

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-05-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have bought sets like this at the flea market for $1 to $3 to use for parts or to build in to new cabinets. Functionality is probably just the same, as other similar non-cracked zeniths, this one probably just had a fall off of a shelf, maybe the cat or dog knocked it over. These old plastics like Bakelite are fairly brittle and will crack easily. Yes it is a big safety hazard as the power cord is connected directly to the chassis on these sets.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

and I see there is a bid on it. Who the hell would want anything in this bad of shape????
Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I dunno, but I recently tossed a case very similar to that one xcept wasn't as bad a shape. Had a much smaller chunk outta the back edge. These old Zeniths aren't really all that rare.-Sandy G.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:11 PM
<----Zenith C845

Sandy,

I'll say those sets aren't rare. As I mentioned, they show up on ebay all the time (I saw one there last night in a blue cabinet, and other models, using the same chassis, in brown and other color cabinets, pop up every now and again, in good to excellent shape).

All I was trying to say in my post was that the radio I had seen that night was in very bad shape as far as the cabinet was concerned, and probably wouldn't be worth much in its present condition even if it worked. Even if it played well, the broken cabinet left part of the chassis exposed, which as one person (and I) mentioned in this thread would be a safety hazard because most AC/DC sets, including this one, have one side of the AC line connected directly to the chassis; depending entirely on which way the AC plug is inserted in the wall socket, the chassis would be hot and would be a shock hazard if it and a good ground were touched at the same time. However, if someone won that auction and got the set, the person could probably, even likely, get it to work as good as new with a full recap and transplanting the chassis into an undamaged cabinet. Those early Zeniths were well-made radios, built to last. The model in question here (and the one you said you had, but junked because it had a chunk out of the cabinet--did it still play?) is especially good from an audio standpoint, because the radio has a phono input on the back and a large speaker behind the tuning dial (Zenith referred to this arrangement as the "dial speaker" for just that reason). I have never heard any of those sets operating, but I've had many Zenith radios (still have two) that sound great. All the more reason to seek out and hold on to these older sets, especially ones made by the original Zenith Radio Corporation of Chicago and RCA of New Jersey; they sure as anything don't make them like that anymore, and never will again.

If you have the room for them and can afford them, I'd say go for it and get as many of them as possible. The early Zeniths, radios as well as TVs, are well-made sets which will last years once they are restored. Imagine listening to your favorite big-band or oldies radio station on a restored 1950s or earlier Zenith, especially, say, a big Zenith shutterdial set from the '30s (I like listening on my Zenith K731 to a 500-watt oldies station 20 miles from here, and a small big band/standards station about 50 miles away; this model, of '60s vintage, is just perfect to listen to those great oldies on). These radios were early high fidelity systems, with their very large speakers, and sounded great, from what I've read in this forum from those collectors who specialize in and have the room for those great old sets.

BTW, since the audio amplifiers and speakers in those consoles were so well made and sounded so good, I have often wondered why Zenith didn't put phono inputs in them. (My Zenith K-731 table model, with its 6x9 oval speaker, heavy wood cabinet and all sorts of tone compensation circuits, not to mention a tone control, does not have a phono input, and I wonder why; the set would make a great phono amp, as good as it sounds. I don't think it would have added that much to the cost of the radio, which probably sold for $100 or more in 1963 when it was new.) There may have been a few shutterdial Zenith (and other) sets with that feature, but I don't think it was all that common in radios of the '30s as all that was available as far as phonograph records were concerned (I think, anyhow) in those days were 78s. I'm sure there must have been electrically-operated phonographs (and phono attachments for radios) that played 78s in that era, unless the synchronous motor hadn't been invented yet. Which brings up another question. When was the synchronous phonograph motor invented, and when did it become widely used in phonographs and later on in electric clocks?

BTW (2): The first clock motors were not self starting, but were started by spinning a wheel at the back of the clock after it was plugged in. When did self-starting electric clock motors appear in clocks manufactured in this country?

I apologize again, Sandy, for being so long-winded, but I like Zenith radios and TVs every bit as much as Doug Harland does. I've liked Zenith TVs, radios, phonos, anything made by the original Zenith Radio Corp. of Chicago, for many years and had a nice collection of such sets when I was living in my hometown. (Today I have my two Zenith radios and a bunch of pictures of old Zeniths and other makes of old radios/TVs on my computer's hard drive, which constitutes my "collection" these days.)

I am only sorry Zenith went downhill so quickly in the '90s. It was the end of an era, the likes of which we will never see again in these times of overseas outsourcing.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 03-06-2004, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

since that set is painted if all the chunks are there it could easily be ca'd back togeter and chips ect filled in with bondo.
btw i got one of those at a flea market for $1.
had been in an antique mall with a $75 tag on it.
note said unsaleable.hums loudly.
like new otherwise.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:21 AM
lynnm

Lighten up Guys !

That wreck is if nothing else a parts source for other sets in better condition but which would benefit from its usable pieces.

That dial pointer and surround alone is worth the selling price if you have an exceptionally good restorable radio - especially if you are in an area where such bits are virtually unattainable.

I applaud the seller for rescuing a collection of usable parts rather than punting it into the nearest landfill.

So the seller gets a few bucks out of this deal....and most likely the buyer has gotten the parts needed to bring another beater closer to restoration.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Re: clocks, I think that Telechron came up with the self starting clock. These older clocks usually have a power failure indicator window that shows a red dot when power is lost, reminding you that the clock may need to be reset. The Hammond organ company began as the Hammond clock company and refused to make a self-starting clock, claiming that you would not want it to restart and perhaps display the wrong time. The synchronous motors are also used in the organs for the tone generator: you use an induction motor for starting to "turn over" the sync. motor.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Jeff- Don't worry, I saved the chassis of that radio. You are correct; those Fifties era Zenith AM-FM sets are definately worth saving-there's a very neat & informative article on them in the book "Fixing Up Nice Old Radios". They were quite advanced for their day. The case I tossed was basically beyond repair- chunk out of it & nowhere to be found. I have 2 or 3 of them including the "off-center" dial model & a later version that is a blonde wooden cabinet, which was my grandmother's & I guess kinda got me started in this hopeless tomfoolery of Radio Collecting. I'm a pack-rat-it has to be REALLY bad B4 I throw it away !!! <grin>-Sandy G.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:46 AM
On Land

Jeff,

That set looks mighty grim, but it could very well work. A friend brought me an old bakellite RCA with locktal tubes several years back. The case was broken in two places, the dial glass was smashed, and the insides was covered with a blanket of dust 1/4" thick! That's not an exaggeration... there really was so much dust that you could not see the chassis or any of the parts. They told me it worked, and I could hardly believe it, so I brought it home, plugged it in, and sure as shit, that radio played!

I took the chassis out to clean up. I was amazed at how well it cleaned up. It seems that the blanket of dust was so thick that it actually protected the chassis and components.

I still have it up in a closet and figured I'd come acoss a cabinet for it some day. if I find one, I'll have a good chassis for it.

Even if that Zenith doesn't work, it probably wont take much effort to get it going again.

I am a bit surprised it sold for nearly 15 dollars.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.

Last edited by Charlie; 03-15-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Audiokarma