Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

'50's Olympic consolette AM radio/record player

Yesterday, a friend found this circa 1957 Olympic AM radio/record player at a flea market for $20 and after calling to see if I wanted it, he brought it to me. The chassis is basically a glorified AA5-tube chassis; but, at least is had more than just a single 5" speaker and it has an EQ switch on the control panel for LP and 78 playback. The most interesting thing about it is the Admiral record changer. Over the years, I've not seen many of these and the ones I saw were in Admiral products. Very rarely do these turn up in other brands.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks good inside and out. Will you be restoring it soon?

Last edited by N8QQD; 07-02-2016 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Peanut Head

Interesting they didn't even use a cap on the 4" drivers. Oh, well...15 cents is 15 cents!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got some obligations that I've got to take care of; but, as soon as those are out of the way, I'll get to it.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Interesting they didn't even use a cap on the 4" drivers. Oh, well...15 cents is 15 cents!
The smaller speakers must be 16 ohm, where the larger speaker must be 8 ohm. All three in parallel would come close to 4 ohms impedance.
I repaired a few Olympic entry level HI-FI's, like the one shown and they had BSR changers.
I know Admiral built changers for other firms, but not that early.
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Had the changer not had "Olympic" stamped on it, I would have thought it was a replacement.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Had the changer not had "Olympic" stamped on it, I would have thought it was a replacement.
I thought the same thing!
All the Admiral changers of the day, had the plastic bezel around the turntable. They were actually rather reliable.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I fired it up, just to see what would happen. The radio sounds like it may have IF transformer SMD; but, I was able to get some audio out of the record player portion. It uses a plug-in cartridge (not an 89T) that's about worn out; but, it was good enough to play a song on the scratchy Dean Martin LP that came with it and I can tell that it has potential. It won't sound as good and have the power that a better model will have; but, it won't be offensive to listen to and it will certainly sound better than a new Crosley.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I think once restored, you'll like it for what it is performance wise. And that Admiral Changer is neat, and performed well for the era, my Stepdad when he was a Radio/TV repair shop owner, sold Admiral, he liked their changers until he went to separate components (A Fisher 400 receiver, a Garrard SL 95B changer, a Stanton 681 EE cartridge, and Olson Coaxial speakers, when the Fisher's output iron shorted, I gave mom and dad a Kenwood receiver I bought after it was loaned to me while I was kit building my Dynaco Stereo 70, my Dynaco PAS 3x, and my HH ScottKit LT 112 tuner, and I used it with my Dynaco A 25 speakers and my AR XA91 turntable. I kit built that gear at age 9 years. Dad got jealous. The Kenwood didn't cost me all of $60 used and it served us well and wisely. And Dad loved it. A good peace offering.