Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 PM
I love old stuff

Dumping/recycling old tv sets

Seen on youtube (I'm not puting links, because some may find theyr hearts hurt) clips with a lot of tv sets getting massacred at recycling centers. Some of the sets I think where in working condition. Why people are doing that? Do they got too much "high living standards"?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I presume they are not up to current standards of HD etc...
there are perfectly good tube sets put out on the street for local pickup by the garbage nearly everyday around here.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Seen on youtube (I'm not puting links, because some may find theyr hearts hurt) clips with a lot of tv sets getting massacred at recycling centers. Some of the sets I think where in working condition. Why people are doing that? Do they got too much "high living standards"?
Yeah, pretty much. The color CRT reigned supreme for about 40 years, now no one can keep up with technology but almost everyone wants to.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:08 PM
M is for Memory

With the way they did the 'digital transition' and the low 'electronic IQ' of the average person there were many dummies that tossed their old working CRT TVs thinking that they were not going to be usable once analog was gone...

The 90's and newer stuff I don't particularly care about seeing hit the curb....Plenty of free HV wire, caps, and line cords to be had cruising the streets.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

From personal experience with aging parents, sometimes dealing with old CRT sets (90s black plastic crap, I'd never let them toss anything worth collecting) can be more trouble than they're worth. They're impossible to sell, charities won't take them, and god help you if they need to be moved up or down stairs. The massive home theater CRT sets may have been high end back in the day, but they're a nightmare to deal with anymore, especially when you're seriously considering downsizing and moving. It's not just easier to dump them on the curb for the city to deal with, it's almost your only option.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:24 AM
I love old stuff

I do like some '90's tv sets, but from the early '90's, when plastic was still pretty good (and the sets too). Yeah, late '90's sets are usally crap - with some exceptions, of course.
Why charities won't take them?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 AM
The Resident Brony

Honestly it's simply an issue of newer, cooler tech being available. Not necessarily better, mind you. But when you see a giant shiny flat panel tv... it looks like something you want to have.

Of course, to me, especially in the early days of flat panels, I found the picture quality of LCDs absolutely horrible. Not to mention the early problems of off-axis viewing. But the main problem: a dvd player or even a coaxial (cable or air) is an analog signal being converted into a digital signal and played by a digital lcd tv, and the picture is only as good as the converter is. Which usually is pretty awful. It's getting better though.

Still, I find crt images to be much more vivid and natural. But then I suppose that's to be expected from a technology that's been refined over almost a century.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I do like some '90's tv sets, but from the early '90's, when plastic was still pretty good (and the sets too). Yeah, late '90's sets are usally crap - with some exceptions, of course.
Why charities won't take them?
Some thrift shops were being overrun since it was cheaper to donate than E-waste. There were times where the Goodwill stores had 20-50 CRT sets on the shelves for $0.49 a piece...You could setup a wall of TVs cheaper than a fast food lunch. They did not sell, and cost charities money to E-waste, and the bigger ones were giving thrift employees hernias from lifting the weight. Goodwill and some other charities stopped accepting CRT TVs.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 AM
I love old stuff

Seems not even the poor want C.R.T. tv sets. What a world...
Old 02-13-2017, 12:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Seems not even the poor want C.R.T. tv sets. What a world...
Here in the USA we are or were in the CRT era mostly middle and upper class, and most middle and upper class homes especially in the midwest have at least 3 TVs...usually more. When that many sets are dumped even if all the poor wanted another CRT set there would still be too many in circulation for the poor to be able to take all of them.

There are some poor that don't want old electronics...That is a common thing among the poor every damn thing the own could be old and beat up but they will have the newest most expensive TV/smart phone/computer to keep them entertained while the stay home all day and collect wellfare.

Audiokarma
Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronic m View Post
they will have the newest most expensive tv/smart phone/computer to keep them entertained while the stay home all day and collect wellfare.
lolololol
Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 AM
I love old stuff

Happenes everywhere. But sometimes is society pressure.... how can you use that old stuff.
I'm not poor, not middle class, but for me a C.R.T. tv is a test tv for people. How? For eg. if a she comes into my home and says "crap, you're still using a C.R.T. tv + another comets", it's a preson that not deserves any intrest. If she dosen't makes any coment, that maybe she's a fine she, and if it does like my other electronics then she's a fine she.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

In this town, it costs $5 to recycle one. So more of a liability than an asset for most folks. I have seen a few ads from people wanting certain types of CRT for retro-gaming use, but they're often seeking specific models. Aside from the old/collector iron, I've only got three 13" left. (I have other professional/engineering monitors not included in that count.)

Chip
Old 02-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Happenes everywhere. But sometimes is society pressure.... how can you use that old stuff.
I'm not poor, not middle class, but for me a C.R.T. tv is a test tv for people. How? For eg. if a she comes into my home and says "crap, you're still using a C.R.T. tv + another comets", it's a preson that not deserves any intrest. If she dosen't makes any coment, that maybe she's a fine she, and if it does like my other electronics then she's a fine she.
I don't care about society's opinion about that. I never was one to cave to peer pressure. This leaves me a lot of alone time, without the company of those who would do/have done me more harm than good... wait, what's the down side there?

You have a good way of filtering out the undesirables. It's better to be alone than with someone who's constantly telling you what to do.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Around here, it costs $30 to take a CRT TV to the recycling center. The trash haulers will just leave them at the curb. You see late model CRT sets on Craig's List every day for free, and despite that, there are always a couple idiots who are listing their old CRT sets on sale on Craig's List for obscene amounts such as $50 for a 27" set or $100 for a 36" set. Evidently they are oblivious to the fact that everyone else is trying to give away the same style sets, usually with no success.

In the summer, I walk at dusk for exercise, and I'm constantly amazed to see a huge flat panel TV shining through the window of a "modest" (to put it politely) house that is a low-income rental. It seems like the "poor" are the early adopters of the luxury items, and those of us being responsible with our money usually wait until we can afford the latest "toys".
Audiokarma