Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Predicta princess power transformer temperature

I've decided to set up my restored princess for use, rather than display. Board is recapped, but the electrolytic cans are original.

Have to say I love watching this tv, I always avoided actually watching it due to the rare crt.

Geometry is excellent, aside from a slight pincushion at the bottoms left of the screen. so is contrast. Sound seems to distort with a very loud signal but is totally free of buzz. I've noticed the same issue with other old sets on the same AV to channel 4 converter box though. I may just mod the converter box to reduce audio modulation instead of try and mess with the tv any further.

Last night I had the princess on for about 6 hours, the power tx gets uncomfortably hot after this time, but filter cans stay cool, and no hum or signs of bad capacitors. I just wonder for those with a princess, how hot does it get when it's been allowed to get to full operating temperature?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:23 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

A muffin fan is a good addition to those sets.

Also, one of those inexpensive little Harbor Freight non-contact IR thermometers is a great tool that will tell you exactly how hot the transformer is getting.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
A muffin fan is a good addition to those sets.

Also, one of those inexpensive little Harbor Freight non-contact IR thermometers is a great tool that will tell you exactly how hot the transformer is getting.
Hey, good idea. I have one of those little USB desk fans, it will be perfect to get the temperature down. I think the power transformer is a bit under sized, relative to the physical size of transformers in more conventional TVs with a similar screen size