Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Some memories of childhood viewing from the late 60s/early 70s:

Getting woken up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the moon landing. I fell asleep standing up, wedged between my mom's legs and the couch. I just remember the MAN ON MOON across the bottom of the screen.

Back-to-back episodes of Lassie - when the second one came on, we had to high-tail it to school.

Batman - we sat on the floor about three feet from the Silvertone B/W console set, and rarely moved, too scared for Batman. I was a "me-too" watcher - my older brother the huge fan.

In the News with Christopher Glenn - every Saturday before the Cosby kids. Afterward, either tune the set to the only college football game or to Wide World of Sports. Walk away after the dude on the skis wiped out.... Christopher Glenn got me interested in the news - for life..

Friday night, getting to stay up late until my dad came home from the TV shop with a package of cookies for us kids and getting to stay up late after the Brady Bunch. Later, one of us got to go to the shop with him on Friday nights. I played in the 20-yr box, asking 30 questions an hour. One night I got to build a relaxation oscillator with a neon bulb, resistor and capacitor, all across a big 90V battery. Never once did I stay in the showroom watching TV - Truth or Consequences and the Friday Horror movie never interested me.

Watching Evel Knievel jump just about anything in front of Caesar's Palace.

Watching Connie's Magic Cottage (a local children's show with Connie Hindmarsh) and just being mesmerized. Cap'n Kangaroo was okay, but I wanted to watch other stuff on morning TV - Bowling for Dollars was cool!
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another I remember, when we got our NES and playing Super Mario Bros on it at night on our Sears 25" console. My mom played it with me but my dad never seemed interested. My grandmother tried it once too when she visited.

Once while at my grandmother's I was curious about all the adjustment buttons on the remote for my grandmother's Sylvania projection TV (because ours had nothing on screen) and she saw I had the pressed the button and was messing with the menus and she got all upset that I was going to mess up her TV and she'd have to call the repairman to fix it. I remember too she wanted me to bring over my NES to play on the big screen but my mom said it would mess up her TV if I played on it.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

If I'm not mistaken I had a VHS tape of Garfield and Friends dated October 1991; that's about as far back as I can remember in regards to watching TV. At the time we had the Japanese-built 19" Electrohome, and I had one of those Taiwanese Admiral 12" B&W tube sets which I only used when I didn't have access to the color set. Naturally that was the first TV I took apart, I hated it anyway. I also watched some Disney Afternoon shows, i.e. DuckTales, Goof Troop and TaleSpin. These days I can't stand Garfield and Friends and probably couldn't stomach DuckTales anymore either. I prefer the early Garfield comic strips that parody the behavior of a typical cat. Most of the good jokes were used up ages ago really.

Garfield in 1980

Furthermore, seems Garfield has forgotten his roots over time.

From 1983...

To earlier this month...

Attached Images
File Type: gif 1980-08-29.gif (124.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 1983-10-23.jpg (165.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: gif 2017-10-03.gif (110.7 KB, 95 views)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post

In the News with Christopher Glenn - every Saturday before the Cosby kids. Afterward, either tune the set to the only college football game or to Wide World of Sports. Walk away after the dude on the skis wiped out.... Christopher Glenn got me interested in the news - for life..
CBS Saturday morning was the gold standard & In the News was a can't miss for me. I also tuned in to the opening of Wide World of Sports but then changed the channel. There were a bunch of shows where I would only watch the opening...Dallas, The Fall Guy, Hill Street Blues...I didn't care for dramas back then but liked the openings!
Old 10-26-2017, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

The holiday season is coming upon us.I remember watching those classic Rankin Bass Christmas classics on my tube Motorola 19 inch B/W TV in my bedroom that my dad got from his cousin Art back in the early 1970's.And those classic specials still airing today and I still watch them.LOL...................................

The Motorola set is here somewhere.I should restore it.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2017, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

In the 1970's watching the Flintstones on ch5 WNEW after school.I was a late riser out of bed Saturday an end up missing some of Saturday morning cartoons.I did enjoy Christopher Glenn's In The News segments when I got to see him.

1980's watching the syndie reruns of series TV shows[too many to list]game shows on indie TV stations before FOX and other new networks gobble up the indie stations then. I always enjoy watching the WPIX Yule log on Christmas Eve.Its now on YouTube .In 1984 as I was experimenting with article out of a electronic mag on MTS TV sound and first to hear the Tonight Show in stereo.About 6 months later I end up picking up the MTS stereo receiver that Radio Shack had available.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:29 AM
I love old stuff

Ha, I saw "Airport" on the Romanian Television during the dark '80's. On colour.
I also seen "Cale liberă" (something like "Free way" or "Free to go"), a movie about bulding the subway in Bucharest.
I watched cartoons on Bulgarian Television. Sheesh, I hated pupet shows. Luckly after some time we got an V.C.R. On Romanian television where few cartoons...
The '90', that's an more different story. If you are curios, I will tell you later. But for a brief time, when around 1993 we had cable television (after that only in 1999) me and my sister, when we've seen Cartoon Network we sought it was somthing like a day of cartoons. During Ceauşescu there where 2 tv programs, but because of "make ieconomies comrades!" we where left with just one (even the Bulgarians had 2). Oh, after 1989 I watched on Bulgarian televison "Chip and Dale Rescue Adventures"... but one day, don't know why, no more Bulgarian television.
The cable tv was initialy on collectiv antena, but because not all people wanted it, they put it separatly. My mother didn't wanted because she sayed I will not learn for school (I didn't lean too much even without it). At my dad and at the maternal granparents I had cable televison and what a lot of time spend on tv...

Those where the days my friends,
I thought they never end.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Oh, after 1989 I watched on Bulgarian televison "Chip and Dale Rescue Adventures"... but one day, don't know why, no more Bulgarian television.
Here it was Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers; I assume there is no direct translation for "rangers" in Bulgaria, in that context at least.

That was around the time Bulgaria began its transition out of communism, and it was a rough ride to say the least so that's likely the primary reason for the disappearance of Bulgarian television. I know a family from Bulgaria; the father came to Canada as a political refugee in 1990 and had to wait three years before he could sponsor his wife and daughter to come over.

No political opinion here, just facts.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 PM
I love old stuff

I don't know what the Bulgarian title was. I just put the wrong English title
Old 11-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I remember Sesame Street,mister rogers,etc...........

After school specials,good ANALOGUE sound and picture,etc........

Audiokarma
Old 11-29-2017, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Watching the Rankin Bass Christmas classics which are rerunning now on TV..Its never to old to watch those .
Old 12-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Watching the Rankin Bass Christmas classics which are rerunning now on TV..Its never to old to watch those .
I saw those only in BW for a few years, then we got a chromacolor in time for the 1971 re-runs, WOW!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I saw those only in BW for a few years, then we got a chromacolor in time for the 1971 re-runs, WOW!
More likely I watch the Rankin Bass classics on my 19 inch B/W Motorola in my bedroom up to the mid 1970's.Charlie Brown Christmas was on TV this week which I love watching over again.I've seen that many times on my 19 inch B/W.