Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

NEC DS8000U VCR where to find manuals? Belts? Codes?

Good afternoon all,

First post here. I've been on Audiokarma for years but really haven't branched out that much into A/V stuff other than your typical I have a 4K TV, an AVR in the living room, my disc spinners are Oppos, etc.

Anyway, I picked up this VCR at Goodwill on Saturday, it will not advance the tape which says to me it likely needs belts. With the top off I can see it load the tape, head starts spinning, but tape just feeds out into the unit and it shuts down, instead of spooling it on the takeup reel. I paid next to nothing for it and it appears to be a TOTL S-VHS monster so I'd like to get it working if I can.

Where can I find owner's and service manuals for this?

Is there anywhere I can get the remote codes so I can program my Xsight Color? (or get the model number of the original remote so I can haunt eBay - likely in the manuals?)

Where could I buy a belt kit for this?

The skills to fix seem to be similar to audio gear but I'm out of my depth looking for info and suppliers for old VCRs.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2023, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would start by looking for a mode switch. They get oxidized and cause many problems. I doubt there is anywhere to buy a belt kit. You will have to measure them and get as close as possible. If they are still stretchy but out of shape, you can boil them in water for 10 minutes. This helps get them to relax and work again.

KP Components in Canada has lots of parts. Shipping is pretty reasonable too.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

From the PRB belt catalog..

Hopefully those ar the correct sizes!
Attached Images
File Type: png image_2023-03-22_201304254.png (19.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://web.archive.org/web/20120714...com/mbk-50.htm

Last edited by redk9258; 03-22-2023 at 08:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-23-2023, 07:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

you guys are all right! I'll look underneath this weekend and hopefully I'm right that the first step is belts.
Audiokarma
Old 03-23-2023, 07:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redk9258 View Post
From the PRB belt catalog..

Hopefully those ar the correct sizes!
Is there somewhere I can download this catalog for myself? this looks like a super useful resource.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:17 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Those NEC VCRs were plagued with entry and exit tape guides that failed and came loose, too. Threaded brass sleeve the roller screwed into would come loose in the aluminum base of the guide assembly allowing the roller and sleeve to slip up and down. Later versions of the guide assemblies had a small set-screw to prevent that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nectapeguideposts.jpg (42.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 03-23-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is great stuff. What's the fix for that? is it threaded in (loctite?) or pressed in (drill and pin? Epoxy?)

keep the tips coming guys, I have no idea what I'm doing but I'd love to see this working again. I've been slowly collecting obsolete formats (I also have a HD-DVD player and I'm keeping an eye out for a Laserdisc - I have one, but it doesn't have an AC3 output) and hey, it's cheaper than many other habits I could have right?
Old 03-23-2023, 10:05 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
This is great stuff. What's the fix for that? is it threaded in (loctite?) or pressed in (drill and pin? Epoxy?)
Try checking the guide rollers first. Might not be a problem if it has the improved version. If you can turn or move the stationary part up and down with your fingers they need repair or replacement. Then you will need to do a tape path and tracking alignment.

Back in the day on customer VCRs, I would replace the guide bases all the time since I had to guarantee my repairs. Never really trusted a quick fix like gluing, but it might work OK.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
Is there somewhere I can download this catalog for myself? this looks like a super useful resource.
http://russellind.com/client/download/PRB_Belt_XRef.pdf
Audiokarma
Old 04-02-2023, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you all again. Where do you order belts by part number? I have been thrift storing again and now not only do I have this S-VHS deck but I also have a Sony ES cassette deck that also needs belts.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

The place I was getting belts from closed. Just have to look online, I guess. It's getting hard to find parts!
Old 04-03-2023, 06:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redk9258 View Post
The place I was getting belts from closed. Just have to look online, I guess. It's getting hard to find parts!
I got some good links from Tapeheads, I'll post back when I order.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

So I took the bottom cover off this unit today and sure enough the big belt is broken and in fact is hard as a rock. I also checked out the Sony cassette deck and all four belts are bad on that as well and that one's going to be a joy to clean up. I found one place that had all the belts I needed

https://www.electronicsupplycorp.com/

This is not an official recommendation as I haven't actually ordered yet, just sent an email telling them what I needed (5 minutes ago). However the prices are reasonable. Thank you to @redk9258 for the catalog, that was super helpful.

Now one question about this unit. Two of the belts look to be replaceable simply by cleaning the pulleys and gently installing the new ones. However there's one (that isn't broken on my unit) that looks like it requires some disassembly to replace, any advice? I have not been able to find a service manual for this unit.

For "Loading Belt 1" any ideas? Or am I just going to have to play with it?

Thanks again guys your help has been very valuable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEC Drive Belt.jpg (91.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg NEC Loading Belt 1.jpg (94.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg NEC Loading Belt 2.jpg (97.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by n8nagel; 04-08-2023 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 04-08-2023, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Those NEC VCRs were plagued with entry and exit tape guides that failed and came loose, too. Threaded brass sleeve the roller screwed into would come loose in the aluminum base of the guide assembly allowing the roller and sleeve to slip up and down. Later versions of the guide assemblies had a small set-screw to prevent that.
My unit has the set screws but thank you for mentioning it, I would have never known to even look had you not brought it up.

So. Now I'm hopeful that this will be working again in a week or two...

1) Anyone know where I could find what the model number is of the original remote control so I can set up a search for it?

2) Does anyone have a code list for the IR codes for this unit, or am I just going to have to trial and error this like so many other pieces of old gear that I've had?
Audiokarma