Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

CRT Tester Advice Request

Hello Everyone,

First a little about me. While I've been in the antique/vintage radio game for years, I'm relatively new at the vintage TV game. I've only repaired one small GE portable a couple years ago, but my interest is growing. I recently acquired a 19" Admiral SS880 color "portable" and a Zenith System 3 (Gen 2) 25" console. I also have my late grandmothers 23" Admiral B&W console with stereo record changer.

I have decided to acquire a CRT tester and am watching a few on eprey and would like some advice on which route to take. I have received an offer from a seller of $120 ($150 BIN) on a B&K Model 466. I also have a Sencore CR70 in my list that is a BIN of $239.99. I made a lowball offer of $140 and they countered with $200.

So, to those of you more experienced than I, I ask which way should I go? Snatch up the B&K for that relatively low price? Or, should I counter the offer on the Sencore or just accept it? Which is the better of the two?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bobby
Old 01-20-2021, 12:47 AM
Workin' Late Again

Welcome to VK!

Honestly you don't need an expensive tester to evaluate which CRT's have usable life. I own both a BK 466 and Sencore 70 and I tend to favor the 466 for it's simplicity. Dare I suggest there's a cult following of what could be considered the blind leading the blind when it comes to which tester is best. In my opinion ebay is a very poor representation of the fair market value of obsolete electronic test gear. CRT testers were mass produced by the 10's of thousands for the TV servicing industry and it's likely today that many still end up on the scrap heap. I hope that's not being too negative.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 01-20-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:29 AM
M is for Memory

I've been happy with my $25 B&K 466 for the ~11 years I've owned it. It's perfectly good as a tester (most CRTs I don't even need to look up settings or reference the test proceedure it's that intuitive) and mediocre as a rejuvenation rig...If you want to wake up a CRT that's been dormant years in the most gentle manner by setting heater voltage to %140 and waiting several minutes it will do fine, but if you have a CRT that needs a zap from the rejuvenate button that is sort of a kill or cure... I've had some luck with it, but I've killed color CRTs trying to Ballance gun emission to achieve color tracking.

I have seen the CR70 work miracles rejuvenating dead monochrome CRTs and have been keeping an eye out for a cheap one. The CR70 has an original video tape about it from sencore uploaded to youtube and they claim the old CR31 used the same rejuvenation system...so perhaps the CR31 would be a good budget rejuvenation rig.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-20-2021, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Avoid eBay altogether if possible. I got my Beltron for $25 from a member of this site via the classifieds section a few years back. More recently I picked up an EICO 667 tube tester for $25 from facebook marketplace, in Cheyenne Wyoming of all places. Bottom line, there are deals to be had if you are patient and know where to look. Classifieds section here and other forums, Craigslist, FB, offer up, estate sales, etc. If you must buy from eBay, I’d suggest going with the cheaper option to start. It should serve its purpose fine and you can always resell it and buy a fancier model later if you choose to do so.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

CRT Tester Advice Request Follow-up

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I agree that test equipment prices are inflated on eBay, especially for items that have been featured on YouTube channels. One example is the Eico 147A signal tracer that was on Mr. Carlson’s Lab. It is a victim of the Carlson Effect. People are wanting well over $100 for something that could be had for no more than $50 a few years ago. Makes me wish I bought one before then to add to my Eico collection.

Well, I countered the offer on the CR70 with $180 last night and as I’m writing this, I received the offer acceptance email. Maybe I should’ve tried a lower counter offer. 🧐

Anyway, I’ll pay for it and see if I have buyers remorse or not. I’ll post again once I receive it.

Regards,

Bobby
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2021, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Almost all vintage equipment needs to be re-capped and the calibration adjustments checked.
You need the service info of course.
I got a B&K 465 a couple of years ago at a large flea market for $25.
I don't trust the re-store function on it however so I disconnected the button when I re-capped it.
The restore function on any CRT tester is a last resort, they were included in the testers back when new CRTs were relatively expensive (compared to the cost of other parts) but CRTs were available.
The real test is in a TV.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
The restore function on any CRT tester is a last resort, they were included in the testers back when new CRTs were relatively expensive (compared to the cost of other parts) but CRTs were available.
Exactly!

There are a lot of FB guys who buy a rejuvenator and "clean" their CRTs like it's an oil change or something. I guess a new toy must be used..

There's only a finite amount of cathode material in a picture tube, and anything you do to "clean" or rejuventate it takes its toll on it.

I've rejuved probably a thousand tubes over the years using every machine ever built (I've had them all), and it's always been hit or miss, and it's always been to forestall either installing a new tube or buying a new TV.

Last resort is excellent advice!

My favorite is the B&K467 with a Sencore type heater bypass mod I do to them (keeps the heater on during clean/rejuv while I manually adjust the heater control).

John
Old 01-22-2021, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I see you have one on the way.
The most important things on a CRT checker are getting ALL paperwork ( set-up guide, manual & schematic), & a good assortment of adapters. Sencore also
had a universal adapter that tests almost any CRT if you learn how.
They were very reliable as a rule. The main CRT cables on Sencores failed
on all 3 of ours but thats with HEAVY use. The commonly used adapters
also were troubled. Last thing is get a MODERN checker from apx 1970's up.
As for brands either B&K or Sencore is the way to go IMHO. We used the
Sencores most but has a few B&K's also.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-31-2021, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

CR70 Update

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for the advice. I received the CR70 earlier this week and finally had a chance to use it on my recently acquired Zenith System 3 console. The CR70 is fully functional and allowed me to determine the CRT condition.

The CR70 included the operation manual, 1991 Set-Up Guide and all adapters including the universal.

Looking forward to using this on my other TV's in my collection.

Regards,

Bobby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6045.jpg (115.7 KB, 11 views)