Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2004, 01:09 AM
MannyE

The Hallicrafters in "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"!

just thought I would mention the very cool cameo appearance of a Hallicrafters radio and what appeared to be some kind of scope in the movie.

Having done a resto for a friend of mine, the appearance tickled me.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Banned

Haven't seen it yet, but I already had plans to acquire my very own S-40, which sounds about right for the "time period" they've so nicely mixed up.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Rational Subjectivist

Saw that movie last night and spotted the Hallicrfters. I love the look they gave the 'sets', as I'm a fan of German Expressionist films (think Metropolis).
They are careful to mix up the dates in the film. They refer to WW I being 30 years earlier, however there's an extremely brief closeup of Polly's charm bracelet showing the obverse side of a US cent coin with the Lincoln memorial on it. That dates the coin to >1958. That cannot have been an error.
Jude Law just gets better and better. I first saw him in Gattaca, with Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. Another Sci Fi film with a neat look, although in the opposite direction chronologically. That film, rather than reconstructing the past with computer animation as Sky Cap does, created an image of the future using actual buildings, cars and machines of today, due to financial constraints. It works.

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:18 PM
MannyE

I think it's interesting that Gattaca had to use actual locations rather than go all CGI to "save" money. It illustrates how the cost of CGI has come down since 1997 that it is now cheaper to create the locations than actually shoot them.

Although it seems to me that the creators of Sky Captain did not even attempt to fool us into thinking the environment was real, like the Matrix was able to do. It was so cartoonish that I can only assume that was the intent. And what a cool cartoon it was.

I'll be sitting down to watch the Star Wars DVDs tomorrow night, and I look forward to re-visiting the first movie that completely fooled me (OK..so I was 9..) visually. I still remember the feeling of total amazement when I found out about the glass mattes they used to simulate many of the backgrounds, which to me looked completely like they had been really there.

Hmmmm not very on topic...maybe I'll PM the mod to move this sucker to the correct forum?