Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2017, 07:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

my "New" CED player

Hey guy's,

I recently picked up a Zenith VP2000 CED player. Got it along with 6 disks for next to nothing at an auction. Surprisingly, 4 of the disks still have original shrinkwrap on them and have never been opened!
Before I picked this up, I had no clue about CED. All I knew was that it existed and I had seen a few disks out and about before(like in thrift or antique shops). I didnt know they had such a short production run and that in the short time put out 1700 different titles! Very interesting history about them.

Well, onto my player. I found that it does work, and watched one of the movies on it. My "new" Zenith tracks very well and doesn't skip, but I did notice that it blips around a lot. It will lose focus, then come back looking sharp. The whole screen will occasionally blip as well and throws the tv off into a vertical roll and restabilize itself. All while doing this the color flips around a lot too. Sometimes it looks as if it reversed the color, go into a rainbow pattern or even just go b&w. Then back to normal.

I've since taken the machine apart and cleaned and re-oiled the turntable spindle, oiled the stylus slider bar and checked over the belts. Looking at them they seem fine. Still having the same problems though.
I'm thinking of doing the strobe test, to see if my problems are from un-even speed or something else. I've read online that uneven speed can cause the color problems but I don't know about the rest, that its dealing with

Well, any thoughts or pointers?

I actually got some pictures of this for ya's!