Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Strange issue with recorded VHS tape...

So I got a box of home recorded VHS tapes, dozens played fine, then I came across this Polaroid branded tape from what I assume to be the later 1980s (1988 episode of Cosby Show was on it to date it on the few minutes I could view) and no matter what I do, it has severe playback issues. So I would play the tape for about 2 minutes then the VCR would seize up, stop, and then automatically shut off. I tried this tape in a 2nd VCR with the same problem. I even opened up the tape shell and took out the tape reels and placed them in ANOTHER VHS shell, and that did not work either.

After trying it in a 3rd VCR it would play for only about 15 seconds this time and then totally seize up and shut off the VCR.

So is this an example of sticky shed or a need for baking or just some sort of bad storage over the years? I did notice that the original taper stopped the tape around the midpoint so it was not either at the end or beginning of the reels which is the case with 90% of the tapes I come across, if that matters preservation wise.

Is there a solution to this, or just throw it out?
Old 07-18-2022, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Feel the tape and see if it is sticky. Could also try using a 2 way rewinder/forwarder to fast forward the tape to end and rewind it in order to "exercise" it.

You can also use an older VCR that doesn't keep the tape wrapped around the heads during Rewind and FF.

Last edited by dishdude; 07-18-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:56 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2022, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can tell you that myself and my customers back in the day had issues with Polaroid tape even when they were new. Head clogs and causing transport issues. I can only imagine how bad they are being over 30 years old.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

This reminds me of the old reel to reel video tapes.Panasonic or Sony ,They start a squealing sound and come to a dead stop on playback..

I used Polaroid tape years ago and had no problem with them.I got to pull one out and check it...
Audiokarma