Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Holy Moly ... the BLACK FRIDAY steals

browsing through the stacks of black friday flyers one thing is clear ...
flat panel sets, whether they be ccf lcd, led lcd or plasma are stupidly inexpensive ...
like most here I much prefer a vintage set, and at last count 40 was the number I have accumulated... but still it would be alright to have another ...
I was thinking about longevity but hell, a local mcdonalds has had the same maggie sets running damn near non-stop for years, and at work there are at least 3 sets for public display that have thousands of hours on them ... soooooo maybe longevity has improved????

Last edited by RobtWB; 11-22-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I think its a matter of chance w/these dreadful things...You MIGHT luck up & get a decent one, that has components that are all in-spec, or you might get a Dawg that will be lucky to last a year or 2...Since apparently they're all being made "Down to a Price", yr chances of growing old w/yr newfangled Video Display Device are prolly slim..
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

On the other hand, the very cheap prices are attractive. About 6 months ago, I purchased a 15" Coby on sale for $69. It gets daily use in the kitchen and sits in a small space next to the microwave (likely not a good location for digital electronics). It is still working perfectly. We joke each time that we turn it on that we may establish a "new indoor record" for longevity of these cheap sets.
Longevity aside, you get what you pay for... the little set has VERY POOR viewing angle, which is ok in our application but may be a problem for some. I fabricated a small wedge for the stand, to tip the set back about 10 degrees, which helps considerably when we are working in the kitchen.
jr

PS: my 2007 Sony Bravia (not cheap at the time) is still working fine!

Last edited by jr_tech; 11-21-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add ps
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Great luck SO far with the two "Touch of Color" Samsung LED sets I got like four years ago. The 55" one is on EVERY day from like 5pm to around 10pm...and then the 23" one in the bedroom is on it's sleep timer every night for about two hours.

I do hear these bigger Samsung sets sometimes require a recapping of the power supply after some amount of time, but both these sets still running like new. For what I paid for a 55" LED set four years ago.....I could buy like THREE now.

I can still imagine ANY of my CRT sets outlasting the flat ones if I keep good care of 'em. I'm not likely to be able to fix the LCD sets unless it's something obvious.