Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

A lot to digest there.

This weekend i should have the chance to have a close look at the 5850, and i will check out the points you make.

One thing the 5850 does do is let out a deafening squeel sometimes on the very last part of the rewind of a tape.

Like i say, i will have lots of time over the weekend to give it a through check.

The JVC on the other hand seems to have no problems at all, apart from the fan being DARNED noisy !
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ah, noisy rewind was a common problem. It's either caused by the tape counter (which we frequently just bypassed by removing the belt), or a noisy reel table. Silicone grease works great on those. Not a bad idea to pop the reel tables off the shafts and clean/lubricate them along with the loading system. Minor work like that is usually all they need if they haven't been used too heavily.

And yeah, the JVC machines are ridiculously loud. I think they use 100v fans. The later JVC font loaders like the CR-850 are very quiet.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaMan View Post
Ah, noisy rewind was a common problem. It's either caused by the tape counter (which we frequently just bypassed by removing the belt), or a noisy reel table. Silicone grease works great on those. Not a bad idea to pop the reel tables off the shafts and clean/lubricate them along with the loading system. Minor work like that is usually all they need if they haven't been used too heavily.

And yeah, the JVC machines are ridiculously loud. I think they use 100v fans. The later JVC font loaders like the CR-850 are very quiet.
Yes, 100v fan, its deafening.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Can anyone give me the approximate dates these two machines were made ?

Someone asked me the other day and i have to admit having no real idea.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just to re start my old thread.

I was playing a tape in the big JVC Umatic and i got up and hit stop, then rewind and the warning light started flashing and the machine is not responding to any control key presses the head is not spinning and the tape will not eject.

Any ideas anyone ??

Thanks in advance.

Neil.
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

My guess is the tape fell off the tape path somewhere and is drooping out of view of any tape sensor lamp. You may have lost a rewind belt if JVC uses it and the tape has lost tension in the guides. The belt is under the bottom cover on a Sony. The deck is confused.

You may have to lift the lid and finger-wind the loading arms back in to the shell. This is easy on a Sony...not sure about JVC but it may be similar.

On a Sony you will see a white plastic worm gear arrangement to the left of the loading ring. It's tight but you can reach a finger in there and rotate the gear. Pick the direction that starts moving all the threading arms back to the casette. Carefully lift up any fallen tape and guide it up in to the air while turning. The tape will not retreat back to the casette. You are just clearing the loading assembly. You will feel the arms stop when they reach the end.

Now you can try to eject but while you do, hold the casette door open with a finger and keep the tape loop up in the air away from harm. You may have to power up and hold the eject button to fool the deck to get it to eject. If the JVC is a manual eject proceed on. You will probably wrinkle a piece of tape no matter how hard you try though if it is not already wrinkled. If the casette pops up now carefully slide it out holding the tape loop. From here, hold the door open and finger wind the tape back in to the casette and let the door close. If the door does close, there is a slide release for the door on one side of the casette door. Use a pen and push the lever down to release the door.

All of that said, that is the Sony fix. JVC is probably similar as U-Matic was a standardized design like VHS. I lost track of how many times I did this.

Last edited by Dave A; 02-23-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: text