Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used to go the Baltimore high end rare and valuable antiques show held once a year. Craters & Freighters always had a booth there. I watched them build the crate for my 1933 Visionette mechanical television. I got it at an ETF Conference and didn't have an address for them to pick up so delivered to their warehouse. They did a really good job measuring and building the crate. The also provided the insurance based on my purchase price. It appeared they found a shipper listed on their internal intranet. The trucking company had a different name and home address but all they do is crate and ship. Since they were the insurance carrier I would believe they look at previous damage claims etc. They're expensive but given airfares, hotel rooms along the way and rental truck costs probably not that bad. Craters & Freighters will give you a free estimate. I think you should insure for replacement cost since it will be hard to find one for what you paid. I think Steve the owner of ETF could refer a source for a realistic replacement estimate.

Last edited by rld-tv01; 03-11-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I think THIS post might be the best one of all. Yeah, I'd DEFINATELY quiz the owner of ETF as well. I'd likely wanna have a chit-chat w/one of the big dawgs at Craters & Freighters, too. I'd insure it out the Wazoo-You can't just trundle in yer neighborhood hardware emporium &pick out ANOTHER one. Thease things are National Treasures, after all. Let's say you get it working-Imagine being the Daddy of a working pre-World War 2 TV in the year 2525.... My friends & family laugh at me wanting to get all my old Junquey-ass TVs & radidios working, but SOMEBODY in that far off year MIGHT be very glad indeed that I went the extra mile & had 'em restored... To ME, THAT'S the way you gotta look at our collective Madness over this stuff. Its not necessarily the VALUE of thease things-Its what they represent.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Also, Keyboard Carriers (a firm which specializes in moving Pianos and Organs) might be worth considering if crated correctly for shipment.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

I just wanted to say that this is a good problem to have! :-)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you! I just joined the ETF and am making plans to attend the 2019 Convention. I did meet Bob Dobush at the CC-AWA meet in Charlotte, NC recently March, 22nd and he mentioned there was someone who specializes in moving early televisions who might be at the convention looking for television moving jobs. Anyone know more about this?

Thanks, Greg

Last edited by Rusty34; 03-27-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 AM
RCAGuy

I moved mine 800 miles with the CRT in place in a Chevy Suburban. All i needed was some blankets to protect the walnut veneer of the cabinet. Don't trust such an important move to anyone but yourself. Buy the one way plane ticket and rent a Suburban. Load up the TV carefully and drive it home. That will take time, but you won't regret the end result.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:07 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I CANNOT overemphasise the qualities of a Suburban.... You simply can't easily overload one, they ride like cars, so you won't damage fragile cargo if you use a modicum of care,smaller vehicles typically will get the hell outta your way, one w/a 350 may not be fast, but it won't embarrass you, either. The only real drawback is they DO like gasoline in Mass Quantities, as Beldar used to say. But that is still a relatively small price to pay knowing that YOU are in control of yr Newest Playpretty-And the Scungili Bros of United Package Smashers ain't gonna get THEIR filthy mitts on yr new prize...
Old 03-31-2019, 03:16 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I CANNOT overemphasise the qualities of a Suburban.... You simply can't easily overload one, they ride like cars, so you won't damage fragile cargo if you use a modicum of care,smaller vehicles typically will get the hell outta your way, one w/a 350 may not be fast, but it won't embarrass you, either. The only real drawback is they DO like gasoline in Mass Quantities, as Beldar used to say. But that is still a relatively small price to pay knowing that YOU are in control of yr Newest Playpretty-And the Scungili Bros of United Package Smashers ain't gonna get THEIR filthy mitts on yr new prize...
My '02 has the 5.3L (which IIRC is the 350 under the metric designation)...It will do somewhere in the mid 90 MPH range empty or full before the trans starts vacillating between gears (speed won't change noticably but the engine will jump between 2.5K and something like 4K RPM)...It'll happily do low to mid 90's all day even with ~1K lbs of people and TVs loaded. Fuel eccon usually don't beat 16, and in hurried city driving 11 is common...The gas ones will get up and go pretty decent but you really gotta put your foot in it. There is torque limiting in the engine computer for towing (I hear you can chip the engine so it thinks it's in a Corvette and that will wake it up a good bit...Tempting).
Where they shine (aside from TV transport/hauling stuff) is in the winter...Mine has 4WD and I can get it through mess that would stop almost everything else...Best yet are those snowy morning commutes where I can pass those folks who go 28 in a 45 on the unplowed 2 lane country roads here...With good tires and a bit of care I can pass them going 50 like it is nothing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-31-2019, 03:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm on my third Suburban. Wouldn't want to be without one. One thing about carrying equipment. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a 4' X 8' X 1/4" sheet of solid masonite (no holes). It will cover all of the transitions in the cargo area and provide a smooth surface on which to slide the equipment.

BTW 5.3L = 325 cu in 5.7L = 350 cu in. I've owned both as well as a 6.2L Diesel (that's a whole different story).

Last edited by Tom9589; 03-31-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:17 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, an Urbanizer will make you wanna throw Rocks at most other cars.. My current ride, the mighty Ford Excursion is an Urbanizer writ LARGE.. Its basically a tonne Super Duty pickem up w/a full station wagon type body. Ford killed 'em in 2006 really before they'd found their market, IMHO. The tailgate on Excursions I thought was kinda fiddly & underdeveloped, too. One of the better features of my 1982 K20 Weasel Suburban was its lowering rear window. You could roll both front windows down, & the tailgate, & unless it was just TOTALLY miserably hot, you didn't really need the A/C on. The tailgate on the Excursion, the rear window lifted up-Ugggh-Dah-Yum, it's HEAVY... & you have 2 little clamshell doors that open up. Ferd erred by making the window part SO heavy, putting 2 teency-tinecy "Helper" struts that did little & were too weak to hold the window business up before the struts basically Kwit after a year or 2.... But, my Excursion, I honestly think its even MORE impervious to being overloaded than a 3/4 tonne Suburban... I think it could be loaded w/Pig Iron to the roof & it wouldn't care. A 6.8 liter 413 cubic inch SOHC V-10 takes care of the Go Dept.. Its like a Sub in that respect, too-NOT quick, but I've shocked the hell outta more than a few backwards-cap wearing numbnuts driving slammed, worn out Honda sedans a few times... Don't F!ck w/a crazee old bstrd in a big white truck, Jasper-He just MIGHT have a V-10 in it... Sometimes these kids gotta be taught a little lesson in respecting their elders... I could always see whatever was coming WAY down the road, I wasn't gonna let anyone get hurt, but I'd "Walk" these boys about half a mile by flooring the Excursion, & make 'em "EARN" their passing me on the 2 lane blacktop that was a connector road... Mbwahahahahaha...(Grin)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another Great SUV that would get the job done and have you riding in style would be a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, with its 360 Cu. In. V8 and 4WD and large spacious Cabin one of those would have no problem with getting a pre-war TV Set from point A to Point B intact. Of course you'd have to find one in good shape first as they are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape (they're out there, but expect to pay a lot of money for one with low miles and in mint condition).
Old 04-15-2019, 08:42 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Another Great SUV that would get the job done and have you riding in style would be a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, with its 360 Cu. In. V8 and 4WD and large spacious Cabin one of those would have no problem with getting a pre-war TV Set from point A to Point B intact. Of course you'd have to find one in good shape first as they are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape (they're out there, but expect to pay a lot of money for one with low miles and in mint condition).
1963-1991 the first or second modern SUV.... Part of me would like to own one, but the newest are as old as I am, and I can get nicer suburbans cheaper...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-27-2019, 06:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am making progress now. Looks like I will go with CRST Specialized Transportation Inc. They offer white glove service in padded vans and managed logistics. I've used them before for moving two stacks of computer servers from NY and they did an excellent job. We are mounting the TRK-12 to a custom built pallet and plan to wrap and pad it well but the question whether to remove the CRT for separate packing is still not decided. I'm strongly in favor of removing the CRT as has been advised here more than once but the collector seller I am purchasing from is asking for instructions. I've never even seen a TRK-12 before so I'm not qualified to answer that one and if the previous owner is not sure either has me concerned about breaking the neck during removal. He also mentioned when he brought it home several years ago in the back of his pick-up he discovered the CRT had shifted a little during the trip.

I see where a reproduction rubber mask is now available for the TRK-12. Is the rubber mask an integral part of the CRT mounting system? Any rubber parts would likely be somewhat deteriorated over all these years which would be a concern.

Tnx, Greg
Old 04-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

kewl! Sounds like you "Got it goin' on like Donkey Kong", as Trace Atkins said here in Redneckland several years back. Worst part of things like this is WAITING for everybody else to get all of THEIR shyte Straight, you're Chompin' at the Bit to get yr new toy in, & they drag their feet interminably, seemingly... Just AIN'T fair, dammittall...
Old 04-27-2019, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sandy, is that your ride in your avatar? I've always liked the Lincoln Continental convertible with the suicide doors.
Audiokarma