Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

1982 Sylvania E32 19" color TV

Here's a 1982 19" Sylvania color TV that uses the E32 single board chassis. Being from '82, it was made after GTE sold out to NAP; but, the chassis is an original GTE design that was carried over after NAP bought them.

The cabinet style seems to be a carry-over from the '70's and I've actually seen the same cabinet used on some later Magnavox, Philco, and Sylvania TV's that used the NAP designed 19C3 chassis.

This set came from a TV shop with a note indicating that the flyback transformer is bad. I have not tested it yet to confirm the condition of the transformer.

From what I remember of these sets, they produced a decent picture.

Last edited by radiotvnut; 10-28-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM
sampson159

those flybacks arced like crazy.very sharp pics on this model.lots of bad solder joints around the flyback too.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did some testing and the B+ fuse is missing. I can't find any shorts with my DMM; so, I'm going to sub the fuse with a 100 watt bulb and see what happens. I also checked the CRT and it's strong.

I have a NOS flyback that I thought was for this chassis; but, my original flyback has a lead coming out of the bottom that connects to the focus control. The NOS flyback I have does not have this lead; so, it must be for a different chassis.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember once being given a pair of sets with this cabinet. One was just like this, the other was modular. From the outside you couldn't tell the difference.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Boy.. I remember those. We sold the Philco branded sets, as a secondary option in our Zenith shop. Zenith's were so pricey, my Unlce figured he better carry another line as well, so as not to loose a sale. They were the only ones that came close to Zenith picture quality, but I do remember he had quite a few warranty repairs. Not as bad as our GE fiasco in 1979 tho.......
Audiokarma
Old 09-24-2012, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, the flyback is confirmed bad. After not finding any obvious shorts in the HOT circuit and with any of the sources that come off the flyback, I substituted a standard 100 watt light bult in place of the B+ fuse. The result was that the bulb lit up brightly; which, indicates a short. I then removed the flyback for testing on my Sencore flyback tester and it failed the ring test.

So, the hunt is on for a good flyback for this set. There is no part number on the flyback; but, the chassis number is E32-4 and it's in Sam's number 2034-1. If anyone can get me a part number or a good flyback, I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

BTW, here's a video I made of me testing this set and I managed not to let any of the magic smoke escape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4M7SqmAqo
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Motorola Minion

Great video. You could teach a course in safe and effective troubleshooting.

I worked in a shop 1981-82 when these were coming into the shop with this problem...from the warehouse! 1976-80 Sylvania-Philco sets had nice pictures too, but I was not happy when NAP acquired Magnavox.

Nice use of the VA-48. my VA-48 needs some help, now I'm motivated to fix it.
I have a Heathkit HV-meter w/ ring test that does something similar with 6 positions. It was almost never wrong.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found out that the part number is 50-3015344-2,-1 with no generic parts listed in the Sam's Photofact manual.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

That chassis/circuit board looks a lot like RCA's of the 80's.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Using a light bulb to see if there is a short in the HO is nothing new. It was covered in TM's 30 years ago. This E32 set was sold under Philco, Sylvania and Magnavox with Philco being sold as the lowest price model. At least half of all these sets sold needed a flyback before the warranty ran out. They were manufactured right here in Greenville, Tn. and I fixed countless numbers of them. They had a terrific picture when they worked and many were sold to motels.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
sampson159

very good video.i prefer the e21 chassis that used a tripler.never see a bad flyback in those sets.regardless,those sylvanias produced terrific pictures.well done!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
very good video.i prefer the e21 chassis that used a tripler.never see a bad flyback in those sets.regardless,those sylvanias produced terrific pictures.well done!
Well, I have two E21's and an E24 that are on my list of things to fix. I too prefer the older models with the seperate flyback and tripler. About the only time you ever see a bad flyback with this type of arrangement is if the tripler shorts and burns up the flyback (have only seen that happen in Zenith CCII's).
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianburke View Post
Using a light bulb to see if there is a short in the HO is nothing new. It was covered in TM's 30 years ago. This E32 set was sold under Philco, Sylvania and Magnavox with Philco being sold as the lowest price model. At least half of all these sets sold needed a flyback before the warranty ran out. They were manufactured right here in Greenville, Tn. and I fixed countless numbers of them. They had a terrific picture when they worked and many were sold to motels.
And, to hospitals. At one time, our local hospital had a bunch of them in patient rooms. They had digital cable ready tuners with a red LED channel readout and a 3-wire power cord.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just found one for $10 that works..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8496.JPG (93.5 KB, 62 views)
Audiokarma