Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Convergence freak!

CNC Trinitron computer monitor hack

Hey all, thought this was kinda cool so I posted it here.

About 10 years ago, one of our CNC grinders VGA monitors went up in smoke. So its a 14" and I was trying to find a suitable replacement to fit into the wire frame of the cabinet. So I happen to come across a 14" early 1990's Sony VGA computer monitor. So I hacked the cabinet apart and retrofitted the CRT and mainboard into this thing. And the picture quality is very impressive to this day! Way better than the Tatung crap they put in this machine to begin with. The only obsticle I had to overcome was the flatness of the sides of the CRT. So I fitted in some grey foam. Similar to what they used as a filler between the CRT and plastic frame of the panel to begin with.
The neck of the Trinitron CRT was like 1.5" longer and it just barely fits in the cabinet with the back access door closed. But this Trinitron CRT has been Guess it has to say something about Trinitron quality. The CRT has been run hard for 10 years or more now and never shut off and it's still impressive!
Running at 640x480 resolution.

Just thought id share this. lol

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...19u6/anca1.jpg

On the other hand the other machine you see here has been through 3 monitors, and this 3rd one looks horrible now. Retrace lines, shrinking horiz, vertical foldover..

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...19u6/anca2.jpg

BTW if you notice I affixed the SONY label onto the panel and painted it black to match. lol

Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-12-2012 at 11:15 AM.