Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
radiodayz

Nice! I have an old Panasonic portable AM/SW turntable, but not in nearly as good shape as this, looks like it's been through a war. One day I'll get around to restoring it. Yours is the only other one I've ever seen.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noveltyradio.co View Post
absolutely love that JVC, its gorgeous..great find!!
Thanks. I kinda thought the same thing. Didn't know what I had. There's no info on the net at all.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Peanut Head

Thought I'd give this old thread a bump. This thread originated over @ AK and most of the images were lost in the move to here.
If your images are missing and you still have them available, please load them again to your post. Thanks!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

ONE OF THESE DAYS,I MIGHT figger out how to run a digicam..Maybe. I REALLY DO have all the Schtuff I go on & on about..Believe it or Nutz.. I lie like a rug about almost EVERYTHING except TVs 'n' Radios..THEM, I'm Serious about..(grin)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

AM-FM-police and fire.

AM-FM- pair of SW bands

A real SW radio, Sony CRF230B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ge7-2910a.jpg (58.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 03-13-2015, 06:09 PM
PhilB

This is my Sony CRF-5100. It was perfect until a few days ago, when I fried it, thinking I could use a non-standard cord (shown in photos). I already punished myself enough for doing this most stupid thing, but I thought(here we go…)that I used this electric cord before. But it has been months since I fired it up. Now, it's dead. It was perfect. What to do - thinking of just buying another as I can't repair it, and the cost to repair is probably as much or more as buying another. Older here didn't yield wiser. Anyways - nice to see all the other radios here.

Mine is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/413857...7648929352304/
Old 03-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The CRF-230 I got for Xmas 1970, & IT started me down the long road of SWL listening, & just being a Radio Nut in general. Still have it, Terry's been thru it once, I need to fire it up more often than I do... Served me VERY well thru boarding school & college. Almost got me into a fight, it apparently has a very strong local oscillator, a football player who lived across the hall claimed MY radio would "Shut his radio Down".. . He had a no-name tire store type brand special, had lots of lights, sounded like @zz...
Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM
PhilB

Sandy G - cool radio, but where's the photo? I looked it up on YouTube - someone has one. Really a nice radio! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXjrzLxB3vw
Old 04-25-2018, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic RF-2200

Old 04-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Nice radios everyone
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2018, 05:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a Zenith 3000-1, from 1966. The very best in service and performance!
Old 05-05-2018, 08:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintv49 View Post
This is my Sony CRF-5100. It was perfect until a few days ago, when I fried it, thinking I could use a non-standard cord (shown in photos). I already punished myself enough for doing this most stupid thing, but I thought(here we go…)that I used this electric cord before. But it has been months since I fired it up. Now, it's dead. It was perfect. What to do - thinking of just buying another as I can't repair it, and the cost to repair is probably as much or more as buying another. Older here didn't yield wiser. Anyways - nice to see all the other radios here.

Mine is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/413857...7648929352304/
OUCH! Sorry to hear of your bad experience with your CRF-5100. However, I wonder. Are you sure the radio is permanently damaged? How would the use of an incorrect power cord "fry" the set? I would look inside the radio, at the chassis, to see if there isn't a fuse in there that blew when you connected the non-standard AC cord. I would think the CRF-5100, like most AC/DC transistor multiband portables, would be designed to use literally any type of power cord, as long as that cord would fit the AC input socket on the back of the radio. (I have a Zenith R-70 AM/FM portable with an AC input socket on the back of the cabinet that will accept the coiled cord from my electric razor; said cord is a perfect fit, and of course it works, every bit as well as the stock AC cord would.)

I looked at the photos of your CRF-5100 and saw the type of power cord the radio is designed to use. I didn't see anything special about it, unless the stock AC cord had fuses or special circuitry to protect the radio from power surges, etc. I cannot otherwise imagine how using a so-called "non-standard" AC cord could damage the radio beyond repair.

Your Sony CRF-5100 looks very similar in appearance to Zenith's model 3000-1 Trans-Oceanic; same rotating drum dial linked to the band switch and all. The only difference between the two sets that I could see, aside from the volume, squelch, etc. controls located below the tuning dial, was the tuning meter, which the Zenith TO doesn't have, and of course the brand. Was the design of the CRF-5100 a deliberate take-off on the Zenith 3000-1? Doesn't seem likely, as I am sure Zenith had no affiliation, association, etc. with Sony at any time during the former company's existence (Zenith closed its Chicago factories and transferred its remaining operations to Korea some time in the 1990s, leaving only its business offices in Lincolnshire, Illinois, outside Chicago).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
OUCH! Sorry to hear of your bad experience with your CRF-5100. However, I wonder. Are you sure the radio is permanently damaged? How would the use of an incorrect power cord "fry" the set? I would look inside the radio, at the chassis, to see if there isn't a fuse in there that blew when you connected the non-standard AC cord. I would think the CRF-5100, like most AC/DC transistor multiband portables, would be designed to use literally any type of power cord, as long as that cord would fit the AC input socket on the back of the radio. (I have a Zenith R-70 AM/FM portable with an AC input socket on the back of the cabinet that will accept the coiled cord from my electric razor; said cord is a perfect fit, and of course it works, every bit as well as the stock AC cord would.)

I looked at the photos of your CRF-5100 and saw the type of power cord the radio is designed to use. I didn't see anything special about it, unless the stock AC cord had fuses or special circuitry to protect the radio from power surges, etc. I cannot otherwise imagine how using a so-called "non-standard" AC cord could damage the radio beyond repair.

Your Sony CRF-5100 looks very similar in appearance to Zenith's model 3000-1 Trans-Oceanic; same rotating drum dial linked to the band switch and all. The only difference between the two sets that I could see, aside from the volume, squelch, etc. controls located below the tuning dial, was the tuning meter, which the Zenith TO doesn't have, and of course the brand. Was the design of the CRF-5100 a deliberate take-off on the Zenith 3000-1? Doesn't seem likely, as I am sure Zenith had no affiliation, association, etc. with Sony at any time during the former company's existence (Zenith closed its Chicago factories and transferred its remaining operations to Korea some time in the 1990s, leaving only its business offices in Lincolnshire, Illinois, outside Chicago).
AFAIK, the only affiliation Zenith had with Sony was when Zenith started selling VCR's, they were re-badged Sony Betas.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post

How would the use of an incorrect power cord "fry" the set? I would look inside the radio, at the chassis, to see if there isn't a fuse in there that blew when you connected the non-standard AC cord.

The receptacle on the back of the Sony radio has 4 pins, 2 for AC power and 2 for 12 volt power from a car cord. The pins have different spacing and the plug on the Sony cord is "keyed" so that it can't be plugged in incorrectly. If a common 2 connector cord was used, it would be possible to apply full AC line voltage to the 12 volt input (which is usually not fused), with disastrous results.

jr
Old 05-06-2018, 01:14 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
AFAIK, the only affiliation Zenith had with Sony was when Zenith started selling VCR's, they were re-badged Sony Betas.
Zenith also sold rebadged sony portable TVs with that unique lollipop CRT, and possibly other Sony made products.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma