Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Only problem with those is that they only seemed to have S-video and composite outputs so even if the stream was in HD there is no way I can see for it to play back in HD...
They predate HD. I think they launched this in 1999 iirc
Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interested here but only for off-air recording as a novelty and a tip of the hat to ancient formats. Do they have ATSC/8VSB OTA tuners so I can at least record the air signal? I'll figure out playback later. And maybe I can use my 2000 Mac Pismo and all its 1394 glory. It still works. I may start a fun Mac Pismo thread farther down in the "off topic" thread. I don't want to be alone with my old friend.

Last edited by Dave A; 03-06-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: text
Old 03-06-2017, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

They do predate HD as we know it, and definitely with respect to analog I/O. I've never had the chance to look at whether an MPEG2 transport stream is "just data" and it and the recorder doesn't care what the resolution is, HD or SD... or if there's a limitation on which transport streams it will accept and regurgitate. I guess you gotta find one, buy it, and test it. Happens some times.

The Sharp flat panel I referred to above was a 720 screen, and did have an ATSC tuner along with NTSC, and it would display an HD 1394 transport stream, but that doesn't answer the D-VHS question.

Chip
Old 03-07-2017, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

I seem to remember that there are two D-VHS standards, due to copyright issues. If you want to play back pre-recorded Hollywood films, you have to have a D-Theater player to break the encryption. These tapes don't play back in the slightly older D-VHS machines. Otherwise, I believe that the video quality on playback for both is 1080i.

I should also mention that I have been looking at pricing for these machines and tapes. The D-VHS machines are comparable in pricing to the Panasonic S-VHS AG1980 that everyone is raving about. However, I have found that the D-VHS blank tapes are INSANE!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I followed the D-VHS story closely through its original time, and now I am the owner of a couple of these machines. As others have said, D-VHS is a "digital data recording format", such that there is no loss at all in the playback video. This "digital format" also means that the conversion/decoding of the digital data does not necessarily happen in the D-VHS VCR itself.

I know of six models of D-VHS VCRs; there may be more. Panasonic made one, Mitsubishi made two, and JVC made three models. The Panasonic and both Mitsubishis are all intended to be companions to ATSC tuners or TV sets with bidirectional IEEE1394 ("Firewire") connectors, such that the VCR records digital TV shows (data streams) from the outboard tuner and then plays back the recordings into the tuner or TV set which actually does the MPEG decoding into audio and video. Tuners that should be compatible include the original Panasonic one from 1998-1999 (I no longer remember its model number), one or more Samsungs (SIR-T160 and/or a model 240 maybe?), and one made by MIT, plus several Mitsubishi TV sets that had 1394 connectors.

The JVCs were different. The first was the combo Dish receiver/VCR combo, that could only record standard-def shows due to its bit rate being lower. Their next one was the HM-DH30000U mentioned above, which supported the "D-Theater" format of encrypted HD pre-recorded tapes as well as 1394-based recording and playback, and it also included component-video HD output connectors for TV sets without the IEEE1394 connector (for playing only). There is also an HM-DH40000U model, and either that one or another later model has an HDMI output and may also have a built-in ATSC tuner.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

There is/was some amount of using D-VHS VCRs with computers via the IEEE1394 ports as well, and this could be an easier or cheaper way to use them now than finding one of the set-top tuners with the needed 1394 connector. AVS Forum was the big place to follow all of this activity in its heyday in the early 2000s.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-23-2017, 05:33 PM
I love old stuff

'about 10 years ago, when on Covaci Street from Bucharest there where still those 2nd hand stores (where usually you left stuff for sale) I found D.-V.H.S. blank cassettes. Stupid me, I never bought one for curiosity.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chris, I did get your PM about the DVHS but my PM's back are not working. Or you are away. I am very happy to take you up on the offer. Try me at csasu@att.net. Move up one letter to each except the "a".

Last edited by Dave A; 03-23-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: text