Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Местное и дх радио

Sad little bearcat 3

I just found this in a thrift store dumpster, it had a rough life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

So, they smash up stuff they can't sell. I heard that most of the stuff thats donated ends up in the trash.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Местное и дх радио

I probably would have bought it if they hadn't completely destroyed it, the board inside is in 11 pieces. I will never go back to that store if that is the way old electronics are treated.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADR View Post
I probably would have bought it if they hadn't completely destroyed it, the board inside is in 11 pieces. I will never go back to that store if that is the way old electronics are treated.
Be sure to tell them that.

If that's what they do, I likely won't be donating any more good stuff to Good Will or Salvation Army, the two local ones I give to.

Rather than trashing, they should set up a "Last Call" $1 table in front of the store for things that don't sell or they don't know anything about.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 04-20-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
So, they smash up stuff they can't sell. I heard that most of the stuff thats donated ends up in the trash.
I was going to post the same last night. Agree 100 percent.The same at the flea markets.It probably was a trendy that totaled it out.I love to go out to his fancy car and do the same. They dont know any better.
Audiokarma
Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 PM
M is for Memory

Remember that many thrifts try to test all gear and only let the stuff that appears to work hit the the sales floor....If it had a problem it was going to end up there regardless of the smarts of the staff.

It may pay to get in good with the staff and let them know what you like. You may be able to get some "it's you or the crusher" bargains that way...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Remember that many thrifts try to test all gear and only let the stuff that appears to work hit the the sales floor....If it had a problem it was going to end up there regardless of the smarts of the staff.

It may pay to get in good with the staff and let them know what you like. You may be able to get some "it's you or the crusher" bargains that way...

It's a darn shame, IMHO, the way GW and the Salvation Army deal with items they cannot sell, or which have any kind of problems. These could and should be sold, again IMHO, in "as is" condition, not unlike items put up for auction on eBay, not crushed to death. That Bearcat 3 scanner deserved much better than to be crushed as it was. Those were great scanners in their day.

I agree with your advice to tell the store personnel what you like and to request they hold such items for you. If more folks did this, a lot fewer perfectly good items would die such a horrible death as did the Bearcat under discussion here. I cringed inside when I saw the picture of that scanner, crushed and now unsaleable (except perhaps for scrap, given the condition of the PC board chassis), not to mention unusable.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-22-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I went behind one of these thrifts and a lady was dropping off children's clothing in plastic bags. As soon as she drove away, the thrift worker threw them in the dumpster. I was apalled knowing about all these kids in third world countries running around half naked (even in countries less than 1000 miles away- Haiti.)
ALSO, some of those clothes might have been high end children's clothing like Oshkosh By Gosh. Not cheap stuff.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can't believe the thrift store did this. Looking at the peeling paint, rust pattern, general condition, etc., this does not at all look like fresh damage of an otherwise decent item. Looks to have been many years in the making.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

This reminds me of idiots wrecking stuff on Youtube.Blowing engines on cars,trucks ,bikes,lawnmowers and sending 600 volts through TVs and other electronics stuff for the hell of it..
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2017, 11:05 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I know here in California, they had a program called "Cash for clunkers" or one of those BAR programs. It was MANDATORY that the engine be destroyed before it was put in the scrap yard. This way the engine couldnt be resold.. (emission reasons)..

Some of the films ive seen were from yards where this was being carried out, and some folks were nuts also

SR
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
I know here in California, they had a program called "Cash for clunkers" or one of those BAR programs. It was MANDATORY that the engine be destroyed before it was put in the scrap yard. This way the engine couldnt be resold.. (emission reasons)..

Some of the films ive seen were from yards where this was being carried out, and some folks were nuts also

SR
Figure the enviofreaks were behind that.What a shame.

Yea I agree on the nuts dept.They are taking a big chance in getting killed or injured badly if something goes wrong.A rod flying and other debris flying out on engines or getting electrocuted applying 600 volts in that little scanner.Used as an example.

Last edited by centralradio; 04-25-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

The reason a lot of that stuff never gets sold at the thrift stores is because its overpriced. I saw a Staples 4 banger calculator at Illwill for $4.56. You could buy that same calculator NEW for 99 cents at Staples.
Too bad about the engines in CA. Often emissions issues are not the fault of the engine at all, but the catalytic converter. The converter covers up the bad emissions.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
The reason a lot of that stuff never gets sold at the thrift stores is because its overpriced. I saw a Staples 4 banger calculator at Illwill for $4.56. You could buy that same calculator NEW for 99 cents at Staples.
Too bad about the engines in CA. Often emissions issues are not the fault of the engine at all, but the catalytic converter. The converter covers up the bad emissions.
They did the same thing in Wi.
The mechanic at one dealership, told me that they knocked $4000 off the sticker price. Most of the time, you could buy a vehicle for the same price, without trading anything in.