Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Love My Zenith Radios

National 8 transistor

I picked up this National (Matsushita) MW/SW radio today at a flea market for a one dollar bill. Battery power only (4 "D" cells). Antenna and all controls work smoothly as they should. It works fine with the exception of the audio level being very low. It stays low when the control is at full volume. Anyone seen one of these? I have not been able to find anything inside or on the outside that tells how old it is. The dial has KC/s and MC/s instead of kHz and mHz. Would it be mid 60's or so?

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelT66.jpg (113.5 KB, 41 views)
New "old" radio collector since 2007
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 PM
On Land

that's a very clean radio! I would guess it to be mid-60's. The KC/MC on the dial is normal for that time. Using kHz/MHz became the norm in the 70's. Too bad about the volume issue.

BTW... that's a nice looking table radio in your avatar!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:06 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4cna View Post
I picked up this National (Matsushita) MW/SW radio today at a flea market for a one dollar bill. Battery power only (4 "D" cells). Antenna and all controls work smoothly as they should. It works fine with the exception of the audio level being very low. It stays low when the control is at full volume. Anyone seen one of these? I have not been able to find anything inside or on the outside that tells how old it is. The dial has KC/s and MC/s instead of kHz and mHz. Would it be mid 60's or so?

Allen

Your set sounds like it's early-'60s vintage (pre-1967), because of the kc and mc markings on the dial scale. Until 1967 all radio dials were marked as kc and mc (kilocycles and megacycles), then, from '67 to the present, the frequency designations appeared as kHz and MHz (kilohertz and megahertz).

The low volume problem may be due to weak batteries; I'd try a fresh set, or try the radio on AC power if it has AC capability (many if not most large portables had built-in AC supplies or provisions for a wall-wart external AC adapter, then as now). Should work much better on new batteries; many of those large portables are notorious for eating up batteries in a hurry, especially when operated at full volume for any length of time or if accidentally left on overnight.

Good luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Love My Zenith Radios

Thumbs up

Thanks guys! I appreciate it very much. I'll try a fresh set of batt's then. Maybe these I have are old...I found 'em in a drawer. There's no telling how long they've been there.

BTW Charlie, that's a Zenith 7 tube X323 AM/FM radio. It plays very nicely too
Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Love My Zenith Radios

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Interesting... I've never seen a boom-box styled radio with shortwave!
I have a JVC boom box with SW as well as AM/FM/CD/Cass & CD player. It even has a subwoofer, a five band EQ, AUX input and CD output. Bought it from a local electronics store back in 1987. It was my first boom box...and it still plays fine today..except for the CD player (it died long ago...probably from overuse on my part. I played the hell out of it!). It won't spin up when you load a CD. Otherwise it's in great shape.

I'll get a picture up as soon as I can.
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2007, 07:14 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Just got this one from Universal Radio. It's a far cry from being *mint*, but is in good, serviceable shape. Four band: AM-FM-SW1-SW2, 14 transistor, backlit dial with tuning meter, 4"x6" alnico speaker. Has a antenna input on the rear and jacks for DC in, Record Out, Aux In, Multiplex Out and Earphone. The case is ivory plastic with a heavy chrome front bezel and chrome bands on the rear panel. More than anything, I was surprised at the clean, strong audio. Not sure of the manufacturing date, but I'm thinking mid 60's. Note the dial is marked in kilo and mega cycles, not hertz and the FM band is slightly extended to 86.5 MC.
I have a TFM 1600 that pulled FM from 120 miles as much as I like my 2 Zenith 7000s this unit out performed them
Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
AK Member

Smile My first NordMende is back...

Hello everybody,

I'm very happy to say that after being without one for over 30 years... I finally got my hands on another NordMende Globetraveler on epay... this was the first serious radio I bought way back then... and one day I loaned it to one of my friend... (after much resistance from my part...) and he enjoyed it for a long time to finally vanish (with my radio of course...) but now I have another one and if anybody wants it they will have to pry it out of my dead hands... the only thing that I regret on this radio is that it does not have the teak wood finish... I loved mine for that... this one is black vinyl but is in very good shape physically and plays darn nice too... aaahhh those fonds memories it brings back...

Does anybody know where I can get a diagram for this radio???

Thank you all and Happy Holidays to everyone

Maurice442
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nordmende-globetrotter.jpg (27.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg nm-glr-22.jpg (43.2 KB, 17 views)
ADC:SoundShaper 3
Stanton:980LZS,681EEE,D71EE

Last edited by Maurice442; 12-18-2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot pic
Old 12-19-2007, 01:34 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Here's my SpaceMaster Plata, which is basically the same radio (with cosmetic differences) as the Sears and Wards Airline radios shown in previous posts of this thread. I got this in 1966, ordered from Allied Radio, before going into the Peace Corps in Guatemala. That means it's gonna be 41 years old this Christmas (hey, I can still do math!) and it still looks and works great. While down in Guatemala, I saw the same radio in a shop window, but this time it said SpaceMaster Silver on the logo! (of course, plata in Spanish means silver.)
Holy smoke!, I have a Spacemaster Silver - small world, never saw another until now.

- Dave
Old 12-19-2007, 01:53 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Charlie if you have that Soundesign and want to sell it please let me know. It was the very first all-band radio I ever had, picked out of the garbage and rode it home on the front handlebars of my Free Spirit chopper bike from the West Side of Buffalo back when I was about 11. Spent a whole summer listening to different things on that radio
that is wierd, a four valve hotpoint radio was picked out of the garbage and carried home on the flat foot tray of my push scooter. I spent many years listening to the radio with ever longer antennas- it spawned my electronic passion and the subsequent interest in hifi and all things electronic.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi, Dave,
I know of at least 3 other Spacemaster Platas that existed at the same time I got mine (1966) as 3 friends also ordered them at that time. I note that you are in Canada: maybe only the U.S. models were "Plata", and "Silver" was sold in other countries? As I had seen the one in Guatemala.

Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 01-01-2008, 01:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great collection grayga those are stunning and much older than the units I usually stumble across...do you have the model numbers for any of these, I have The Perpetual Troubleshooter's Manual Volume XIV but it's from 1944, your units look like they're a few years younger...
Old 04-12-2008, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Just got this one from Universal Radio. It's a far cry from being *mint*, but is in good, serviceable shape. Four band: AM-FM-SW1-SW2, 14 transistor, backlit dial with tuning meter, 4"x6" alnico speaker. Has a antenna input on the rear and jacks for DC in, Record Out, Aux In, Multiplex Out and Earphone. The case is ivory plastic with a heavy chrome front bezel and chrome bands on the rear panel. More than anything, I was surprised at the clean, strong audio. Not sure of the manufacturing date, but I'm thinking mid 60's. Note the dial is marked in kilo and mega cycles, not hertz and the FM band is slightly extended to 86.5 MC.
I love the dial scales on these old multiband radios. They make you want to spend time exploring the bands just to see what you can pick up. Back in the late 1960s I had a large Columbia Masterworks 4-band portable that had the same coverage as this Sony of yours. Had great, powerful audio, AM stations sounded awesome (to me at least), and of course FM offered extra clarity. I have yet to see this Masterwork on eBay...it's as if they've all disappeared from the face of the earth. Fine memories though!

Chuck
Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Peanut Head

Yep, digital tuning may be more exact and convenient as far as saving frequencies with presets, but I still love the analog scale.
More fun...and to me, more real.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Repro Battery Builder

Here's a different one for you

Ever see a Norwegian radio?

Doesn't quite fit the AC/DC portion (though it could because I believe a special power pack was available), but this David Andersen set should give you some eye candy pleasure. Got it off of the 'net ten years ago, recently built a proper AD3-style battery for it. Since I don't have any Scandinavian battery graphics, I decided to do the cover in French Pile Wonder. My adaptor uses a DC-DC converter powered by five C cells.

For a four-tube set, it brings in stations on AM and the three SW bands beautifully.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg davidanderson.jpg (88.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg folipinsidedavidanderson.jpg (79.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg folipinsides.jpg (96.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg finishedfolip.jpg (82.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 PM
<----Zenith C845

Was the front of the radio damaged somehow? Looks like the entire front panel is full of cracks, as if it had been forcibly struck.

The chassis looks awfully small in relation to the size of the cabinet. Must be packed underneath and a nightmare to work on.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma