Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Repro Battery Builder

Heh--no, the front panel is crackle-finish paint. It's a pretty simple radio for its performance.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune tuner View Post
I got this one recently on eBay, don't have the model number handy. In good physical shape, electrically the VHF PSB bands are very weak, FM is fairly weak but surely usable for local stations. AM and SW are much better. The Channel Master transistor sets I have are dying as I own them, due to aging capacitors. Hopefully this attractive bigger model has some years left in it. Nice solid construction, brings me back in time as I explore the bands on it...

Chuck
That radio reminds me of an "Air Castle" (not to be confused with the Aircastle radios of the 1930s) multi-band (AM/FM/SW/VHF low and high) transistor portable I picked up in the trash in my old neighborhood about 30 years ago. (Regrettably, I don't have it any longer, as it got lost in a move about eight years ago.) Aside from the branding, the differences in the cabinet style, and the use of an eight-position rotary switch as the band selector, my set could have passed for any of the multiband sets which were popular in the '60s-'70s. The set worked like a champ while I had it. I lived in a Cleveland suburb at the time, and this radio could receive every station (AM and FM) from the city just fine. Wish I would have held on to it, as now I live in an area where certain stations either do not reach at all or else they are very weak, almost unlistenable, on some of my radios. I now have a Zenith TransOceanic 1000-1 that I won in an eBay auction several years ago, however, that works every bit as well on AM and SW as, if not better than, my Air Castle portable. The only things my T/O does not have are FM broadcast, as it was made in the late '50s when FM radio in the US was in its infancy, VHF public-service bands, and a tuning meter. Every now and then I think about bidding on a Royal 3000 (a Royal 1000 with FM) when I see one on eBay; oh well. One of these days . . .

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:09 PM
VK Member

>>> Pile Wonder

Sounds like a haemorrhoid lotion!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up Grayga...tube sets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayga View Post
RCA Stratoworld
Stromberg Carlson AWP-8
Hallicrafters TW-2000
Silvertone Wayfarer

I have no manuals, tags, brochures, catalogs or other collateral material for any of these radios. I'd appreciate any help you can give and will be happy to pay for copies and/or PC files.

Grayga,
Beautiful radios!

Chuck
Old 09-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Repro Battery Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steerpike2 View Post
>>> Pile Wonder

Sounds like a haemorrhoid lotion!

That'd be for "Piles Wonder", but I digress....
Audiokarma
Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's my Sony TR-814 from 1961 I believe - AM and two shortwave bands, *very* good reception on the AM side. Have been enjoying this one for several years.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 853b.jpg (77.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Celt; 04-27-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

All great looking radios that I see in this thread. Here is my contribution: a great looking Hammarlund:
Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
AK Member

Need model number and service manual

Does anyone know the model number of this Channel Master Radio ? I don't have it yet, but need to find the service manual. I've seen this radio posted before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010131.JPG (71.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Instantly addicted

WELL I have the Heathkit Mohican AM SW my dad built on the kitchen table in the 60's sometime. I only have the battery power supply modual for it but an AC modual was available and I guess I should pickup one off eBay.

It still works perfectly and spends it's days and nights waiting for the power to go out so it can spring to life and give me news and info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mohican 003 web.jpg (83.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

gee which model should i start with
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2009, 12:11 PM
mac

The best receivers widely available at reasonable prices still seem to be the Zenith Trans-Oceanic (transoceanic) radios. If fm is not important, grab a Royal 1000 from ebay for around $40.00 in working condition. Zenith made around 100,000 of them from 1957 - 1962. Replacement transistors are less than a buck and make 90% of those you find work well. If FM matters, there's the Royal 3000, same price, Zenith made over 150,000 from 1962 - 1969. At the very top of the market is the Royal 7000, an 18 transistor set, usually about $150. These were made from 1969 through 1978. They're all heavy, built to last forever, a pleasure to own and operate. (mac)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
AK Member

Here's my Zenith Transoceanic, I use it daily, its just a wonderful piece.
Scott 370B
Fisher 600
Dynaco A 25's
AR 2's
Bang and Olufsen TX 2
Rotel RCD-1072
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Just got this one from Universal Radio. It's a far cry from being *mint*, but is in good, serviceable shape. Four band: AM-FM-SW1-SW2, 14 transistor, backlit dial with tuning meter, 4"x6" alnico speaker. Has a antenna input on the rear and jacks for DC in, Record Out, Aux In, Multiplex Out and Earphone. The case is ivory plastic with a heavy chrome front bezel and chrome bands on the rear panel. More than anything, I was surprised at the clean, strong audio. Not sure of the manufacturing date, but I'm thinking mid 60's. Note the dial is marked in kilo and mega cycles, not hertz and the FM band is slightly extended to 86.5 MC.
I have that exact same radio except my model no. ends in "WA"
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM
I need more vintage!!

Just a few months ago I picked up an Electro Brand multiband radio. Sound quality is not really good but the amount of bands this thing recieves definitely more than makes up for it. I put together an external antenna for it and it really brings the local airport and planes in pretty well.

Last edited by Trance88; 10-19-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Dumont RA103

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
o-kay, I was able too up-load the pictures of the radio G/E. am/fm table top radio to my profile albums & pictures, thank-yous for any help yous might be able to give me about the year of this set.

dawgs
Here ya go. I'm not sure about the year.