Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Masterwork 12 Model M-3108
Don't know much about it other than I got it at a Santa Rosa fleamarket in 1997 and it's made in Japan. From the '70's? early '80's?
Not nearly as stylish and well made as pretty much everything else in this thread.

Well anyway, here it is with more pictures than are probably warranted. EDIT: wow, the photos are huge.

Works, but the volume jumps up to full after it warms up. Scared the heck out of me the first time.
Must be a very high end model judging by the (nearly pristine) cardboard inside the back panel. Ha!

Last edited by shedshrine; 05-11-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:45 AM
Peanut Head

Masterwork was a division of Columbia Records/CBS, who at the time owned Fender Instruments. They made radios, record players and such.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Celt! I wasn’t sure if maybe it was some kind of knock off using another company in a different industry’s logos and product names. As a record collector I recognize the Columbia logo and that some of their recordings are deemed Masterwork. Had no idea Columbia made radios etc.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedshrine View Post
Thanks Celt! I wasn’t sure if maybe it was some kind of knock off using another company in a different industry’s logos and product names. As a record collector I recognize the Columbia logo and that some of their recordings are deemed Masterwork. Had no idea Columbia made radios etc.
They didn't make radios, they only sold them. They contracted with a US or Japanese firm to build their products.
They would include an order form with their record club bill in hopes that the member would buy the radio as well.
Readers Digest was another one that did it as well.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi!

Just joined, thought I'd show my first AM radio repair, Toshiba M8-390. A few crook wires from corrosion, and very dead electrolytics. Not sure of year, possibly from as early as '67/'68.

It came with a very stiff and dried out leather case, which is partly why its in pretty good nick. Polished indicator plastic and cleaned up the tuner knob, everything else was pretty good. Works nicely, sounds great. Tuning mech could do with a bit of lube, but apart from that pretty happy with how it turned out.
Audiokarma
Old 11-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Welcome to VK