Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Information on an RCA Deluxe Transitor radio?

Just found this set locally. It polished-up great and after cleaning all the contacts and putting fresh batteries in it, it worked! I have not been able to find a whole lot of information on it. So far I believe it's a 1959 model 1T4H. Someone even mentions it was called the "Hawaii" (?). Any information would be appreciated. This set must be as large as the "pocket radios" ever got! It's bigger than it looks in the photo.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found the schematic
Attached Images
File Type: gif rca1t4sch.gif (122.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a similar model, but it is a fairly plain grey color... has yours been painted or is that the original color? Looks great!

jr
Old 09-04-2016, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Found the schematic
Thanks so much, but I know that technical info is usually dated later than the set was made. I don't believe it's a '60 according to the research I've done so far. It also doesn't match '59 models. I'm thinking 1958, but I can't find any info to verify it.
Also, thanks Jr. The set is all original. The story from the antique shop owner was that he bought it from the original owner who hated to part with it. I did several hours of cleaning and polishing to it with a 3 step application that made it very glossy.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

At least the Aunty-Kue shop owner should be happy that its found itself a VERY good home...
Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
At least the Aunty-Kue shop owner should be happy that its found itself a VERY good home...
Thanks. It'll be well cared for and enjoyed as with all my sets!

Last edited by decojoe67; 09-05-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Banned

Your RCA Radio is probably a Knock-off design of Zenith's Deluxe Royal 500 Transistor Radio line from the same time period as it seems to have a very similar style (and you ought to see the size of the Zenith Deluxe Royal 500 Radios they are really large too.) I happen to be the proud owner of a Second Generation Zenith Deluxe Royal 500 Transistor radio (the design after the "owl eyes" design which came out in 1959.)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

The RCA is quite a bit larger, and uses larger components, which might have been cheaper to produce than the miniaturized parts used in the 500 series Zeniths. The larger speaker produced somewhat better sound than most of the pocket portables, although the oval speaker in the 500h Zenith is fairly decent.

For the record, the RCA is approximately 7"x4"x2" which equals 56 cubic inches, while the Zenith is only approximately 6"x 3.5"x 1.5" which is 31 cubic inches.

Another Zenith model, the royal 200 as well as the Emerson 888 and Westinghouse model H656P5 are similar sized "coat pocket" radios, more closely resembling the style and construction of thr RCA. I suspect that there were others that are similarly sized, using larger parts.

jr
Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Thanks so much, but I know that technical info is usually dated later than the set was made. I don't believe it's a '60 according to the research I've done so far. It also doesn't match '59 models. I'm thinking 1958, but I can't find any info to verify it.
Also, thanks Jr. The set is all original. The story from the antique shop owner was that he bought it from the original owner who hated to part with it. I did several hours of cleaning and polishing to it with a 3 step application that made it very glossy.
'tis a 1960:
https://books.google.com/books?id=mB...%201t4&f=false

June 1960 Billboard magazine....

Also, the 2N40X line-up of transistors was introduced in 1957 (for 1958 products,,,):

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...ch=%222n406%22
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!