Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Banned

Toshiba Model M-632 VCR giving fits

Hello everyone yesterday at work (Goodwill for those of you who are not aware that I work there now) I found a 1992 vintage Toshiba Model M-632 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR and I went home and put it in the basement and then today I got around to testing it out to see if it worked or not (I was planning on using it as a spare VCR for my LCD Projector Setup in my Basement in case my Hitachi 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR from the late 1980s bites the dust) and anyways it didn't work right this VCR and I suspected that it was bad belts and took and opened it up and sure enough all of the belts were stretched and getting ready to turn to goo, so I replaced the main drive belt with another drive belt I had laying around that happened to fit it, but the only problem is that the other two belts (the secondary drive belt and the loading mechanism drive belt that sits in the back of the VCR were sizes that I didn't have except in the smaller audio cassette tape player mechanism sized belts so I put those in but apparently they're too small thickness wise to develop enough torque to get the loading mechanism to run because when I try to load a tape into the VCR the motor just keeps spinning but it doesn't turn the pulley that drives the loading mechanism, I had found a drive belt that was a little bit thicker than the other belt I had been using (but not the same thickness as the original belt) and I installed that and it seems to be able to turn the pulley without any problem but now it seems that for some reason when I insert a tape into the VCR the tape will load into the VCR but the loading mechanism that should load the tape into the heads and play the tape isn't responding now, and its rather odd because the VCR when its powered on initially the POST test that the VCR goes through to make sure the VCR is in proper running order passes and the VCR stays on although the VCR then powers itself off after about 45 seconds after the POST process and then I turn it back on again and it stays on but then that's when the VCR is unresponsive to a tape being inserted and the play button being pressed.

Anyways any ideas as to what's going on with this machine, or anyone have any experience with this particular model? By the way its a Samsung made machine that Toshiba put their name on (as well as some of their own parts and chips in.)
Sorry for the long winded story about this machine but it was the only way I could explain what was going on with this machine.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the Toshiba M649,M769 both from the mid 1990's which I bought brand new .I had to replace the idler gear assembly on each VCR around the same time years ago since the plastic pieces worn out so quick.Both VCRs still work today but they are on backup standby now.I have a third one M648 somewhere here from the same era which is broken and I cant remember what is wrong with it.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I have the Toshiba M649,M769 both from the mid 1990's which I bought brand new .I had to replace the idler gear assembly on each VCR around the same time years ago since the plastic pieces worn out so quick.Both VCRs still work today but they are on backup standby now.I have a third one M648 somewhere here from the same era which is broken and I cant remember what is wrong with it.
Do you think the belts might be the same as in mine? because I think mine just needs the belts replaced and it should work again, but since it doesn't have good belts in it right now its misbehaving, in fact this VCR is the one that chewed through an original VHS copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which would be considered the Holy Grail of classic VHS Movies that were unmolested (not digitized).
Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Do you think the belts might be the same as in mine? because I think mine just needs the belts replaced and it should work again, but since it doesn't have good belts in it right now its misbehaving, in fact this VCR is the one that chewed through an original VHS copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which would be considered the Holy Grail of classic VHS Movies that were unmolested (not digitized).
What a shame .Sorry to hear that about your Holy Grail tape. . Can you take photos of the insides of the M-632 .I want to see if it matches my VCRs here.I have not buy VCR belts in a long time.Does MCM still catty them.I hope its only a belt and not the idler gear assembly that I had to replaced years ago.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
What a shame .Sorry to hear that about your Holy Grail tape. . Can you take photos of the insides of the M-632 .I want to see if it matches my VCRs here.I have not buy VCR belts in a long time.Does MCM still catty them.I hope its only a belt and not the idler gear assembly that I had to replaced years ago.
I can get a shot of the insides of this VCR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160930_140749.jpg (79.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20160930_140900.jpg (78.3 KB, 19 views)
Audiokarma
Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've repaired many lightly damaged video tapes. They're easy to take apart and re-splice. You don't lose much of the content.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:25 PM
blast, blast...

I worked on four of that model in the late 90's but they all had power supply problems. Sorry...
Old 09-30-2016, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I can get a shot of the insides of this VCR.
Yes It looks the same as my two here.Check the idler assembly and see if its ok and not chewed up.I had two go on me in each VCR.Also replace the belt in it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I've repaired many lightly damaged video tapes. They're easy to take apart and re-splice. You don't lose much of the content.
Yes I dont really like it but Ive done that too.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes It looks the same as my two here.Check the idler assembly and see if its ok and not chewed up.I had two go on me in each VCR.Also replace the belt in it too.

Yes I dont really like it but Ive done that too.
I've looked at the idler gear assembly and it looks to be intact yet, I think it might be mainly a belt issue, but not sure until I can find out what the size of the belts are that this VCR needs because I looked over at SMC Electronics supply and their supply of belts go by the belt diameter and not necessarily by make and model of VCR.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I've looked at the idler gear assembly and it looks to be intact yet, I think it might be mainly a belt issue, but not sure until I can find out what the size of the belts are that this VCR needs because I looked over at SMC Electronics supply and their supply of belts go by the belt diameter and not necessarily by make and model of VCR.
Thats great the idler is OK.I would try a belt from another VCR if you have any non working VCRs there that you can salvage one off it.As long its a hair tighter then the bad belt .You dont want one too tight.It will put a load on the capstan motor and could burn it out.It should work until you find a new replacement.Atlease you will find out if the mechanism works ok with out chewing up your tapes.BTW ..Use a tape that you dont care if the VCR eats it.upI use 2 pencils and gently move the pencils out and see which one is smaller and use it.Just remember which belt is the original.If the original is smaller.Just keep looking until you find one a hair smaller then the original .Thats the quick way in finding one that works.Also you can measure the belt by stretching it out on the ruler like on the SMC site shows.

http://www.smcelectronics.com/vcrrep.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BELTMEAS.JPG (73.8 KB, 6 views)
Audiokarma
Old 10-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thats great the idler is OK.I would try a belt from another VCR if you have any non working VCRs there that you can salvage one off it.As long its a hair tighter then the bad belt .You dont want one too tight.It will put a load on the capstan motor and could burn it out.It should work until you find a new replacement.Atlease you will find out if the mechanism works ok with out chewing up your tapes.BTW ..Use a tape that you dont care if the VCR eats it.upI use 2 pencils and gently move the pencils out and see which one is smaller and use it.Just remember which belt is the original.If the original is smaller.Just keep looking until you find one a hair smaller then the original .Thats the quick way in finding one that works.Also you can measure the belt by stretching it out on the ruler like on the SMC site shows.

http://www.smcelectronics.com/vcrrep.htm
yeah I still have two of the 3 original belts yet, I actually had several old VCR Belts laying around in my parts bin stash but only one of the belts was the correct size for what I needed (the biggest belt on this VCR) the other two belts were too small compared to what I had belt wise laying around, bad part is that I don't seem to have a ruler right now, so I can't measure anything right now, I have a couple of tape measures laying around but those won't work very well.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
yeah I still have two of the 3 original belts yet, I actually had several old VCR Belts laying around in my parts bin stash but only one of the belts was the correct size for what I needed (the biggest belt on this VCR) the other two belts were too small compared to what I had belt wise laying around, bad part is that I don't seem to have a ruler right now, so I can't measure anything right now, I have a couple of tape measures laying around but those won't work very well.
I would keep an eye open down at the Goodwill or at curbside for VCRs for belts.For $5 bucks .Its probably cheaper getting the belt that way then ordering one online after they hit you with the inflated shipping rates.I remember the old MCM electronics catalogs had a belt measuring gauge in them .You always can get a new belt if the Toshiba works great with the used test belt.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would keep an eye open down at the Goodwill or at curbside for VCRs for belts.For $5 bucks .Its probably cheaper getting the belt that way then ordering one online after they hit you with the inflated shipping rates.I remember the old MCM electronics catalogs had a belt measuring gauge in them .You always can get a new belt if the Toshiba works great with the used test belt.
The bad part is that I had for a while an early 1980s Hitachi top loading VCR that ended up having more wrong with it than I could repair so I salvaged all but one of the belts out of the machine and the one belt I forgot to get out of the machine would of worked for the rear loading mechanism assembly (the loading mechanism for loading the tape into the heads.)
Old 10-01-2016, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The bad part is that I had for a while an early 1980s Hitachi top loading VCR that ended up having more wrong with it than I could repair so I salvaged all but one of the belts out of the machine and the one belt I forgot to get out of the machine would of worked for the rear loading mechanism assembly (the loading mechanism for loading the tape into the heads.)
Yes.I understand that happening after getting rid of stuff.Two months down the road you need something off it.It happens all the time here.All of us are in the same boat on storage issues with little or no room to store everything.I'm out of room here and still taking in CRT TVs here like a 25 inch Panasonic and a Sanyo 19 inch set that I took in in the past week.I probably have enough 25 inch sets here to stack them up to make the Jeopardy game show set in my living room.All I need is Alex and his contestants .
Old 10-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes.I understand that happening after getting rid of stuff.Two months down the road you need something off it.It happens all the time here.All of us are in the same boat on storage issues with little or no room to store everything.I'm out of room here and still taking in CRT TVs here like a 25 inch Panasonic and a Sanyo 19 inch set that I took in in the past week.I probably have enough 25 inch sets here to stack them up to make the Jeopardy game show set in my living room.All I need is Alex and his contestants .
Yeah, I know that feeling, I had recently acquired an old Philco Townhouse TV from a local antique shop for $15 and I was wanting to restore it back to usable condition again but it turns out it might of been a little more than I could handle because the 'dag was coming off the back of the picture tube and the vertical oscillator is running at 30 hz instead of 60 hz causing the picture to be doubled ontop of itself and that's because there are some bad capacitors or something in the Vertical stage of the TV and it seems that it might be a little tricky to try and get to those caps to replace them besides them being rated at 1kV. Anyways I had acquired from Goodwill earlier this year a 1960s vintage Sony B & W Portable TV from the salvage and also a 1980s vintage Montgomery Wards 5" Portable Color TV that still works like new and all I had to do to it was readjust the picture adjustments in the back because the picture was kind of dark.
Audiokarma