Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 AM
The Resident Brony

Fisher 250

Is this worth anything? The case is real wood, small chip on the front, but otherwise nice. The knobs are kind of meh. And the main tuner seems to be frozen. But the mini-tuners (O_o) work just fine, so I was listening to this radio all day while I was reorganizing all the junk in grandad's garage. Or at least making an honest first attempt.

It was his main garage radio. It's even wired up to an external outdoor antenna, via antenna amplifier at that. I say 'main' garage radio, because he had all the radios. Besides this unit, there were 2 clock radios and 2 old school boom boxes. Yes, all of those were ready to use, not just being stored, but in the garage - plugged in - for use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fisher radio 250.jpg (62.1 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by MadMan; 04-02-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Nice SS Fisher...well worth keeping. Brass knob caps are available on eBay & not expensive. The tuning knob probably has petrified grease somewhere

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

The mini tuners are cool.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Banned

The mini tuners are I think an early Preset tuner system. I would think it might be worth restoring and listening to as early Fisher stuff is quite collectable.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
Nice SS Fisher...well worth keeping. Brass knob caps are available on eBay & not expensive. The tuning knob probably has petrified grease somewhere
Actually the tuner knob is perfectly free. It's almost certainly the tuner itself, cuz you can turn the knob all the way around, but it only makes the dial twitch, won't actually tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
The mini tuners are cool.
I concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
The mini tuners are I think an early Preset tuner system. I would think it might be worth restoring and listening to as early Fisher stuff is quite collectable.
They are a preset system. Very strange, but it works.

Idk, if no one picks it up at the estate sale, I'll fix it up and sell it probably.
Audiokarma
Old 02-21-2017, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Keep it. If it works it's worth using. It's what I do.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:53 PM
"Book em Dano!"

They are not nearly worth what the tube ones are worth but still pretty decent. They were the last stuff before Emerson bought them out. There is a LOT of electrolytics in there that leak electrolyte. Be prepared to replace some or all. Those knob caps are not the same as the ones generally on eBay. I have some if interested. I have the same set I bought for $25 working from a crackhead. Sams has the schematics for it.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:43 PM
The Resident Brony

So for the past 3 weeks I've been living at my late grandpa's house, and renovating it. This Fisher has been my daily listener, and it performed really well! ...for about 2 weeks. Now it has a problem after it warms up for about an hour, after that the tuned station gets all static-y and drifts to another station. At first, I thought it was merely that the area has shit reception (I had a hell of a time positioning the antenna to catch anything [and granddad had about 20 signal amplifiers IN USE in various points around the house and garage]), but just today I walked out of the house with the DJ saying '95.9' and walked back in 5 minutes later with a different DJ saying '94.1' So like, uh, yeah, that's a big leap.

It does the same thing on any of the mini-tuners, with AFC on or off (I still have no idea what that does lol). I haven't actually cracked it open yet. Just wanted to know if anyone has a best guess as to what I'm looking at here. Is it like a tuner issue? Bad caps? Bad transistor? Bad IF transformer?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:07 AM
M is for Memory

AFC=Automatic Frequency Control....It is supposed to compensate for drift/fine tune automatically.

The mini tuners and the main tuner probably share a part (resistor or cap probably) that has begun to drift in operation more than designed.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4