Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 PM
TheUniversalDave1

My new KLH 21

This is the radio I traded those TV's for. Sounds okay, but it has at least one bulging cap on the main board. Also has the original filter cap from 1966. Once you add any bass at all, the sound turns to mush.

Something must be really wrong with my set, because as much praise I've heard about these, I'd expect something a lot better than what I'm getting. My solid state 1968 RCA with a flaky audio output transistor just whipped the KLH in terms of sound quality. A song I know came on, and I took the opportunity to test the KLH's sound quality, and I was quite dissapointed. And also the bass control just crapped all over the place. Full bass, (which sounds like mushy garbage) or no bass. (Which also sounds like garbage.)

Last edited by TUD1; 04-10-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:53 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Went to Radioshack today and got all the caps I need for the KLH. I'll be recapping it this evening. Got the caps at 60% off.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Peanut Head

Good luck...here's my thread about the 21. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255103

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
This is the radio I traded those TV's for. Sounds okay, but it has at least one bulging cap on the main board. Also has the original filter cap from 1966. Once you add any bass at all, the sound turns to mush.

Something must be really wrong with my set, because as much praise I've heard about these, I'd expect something a lot better than what I'm getting. My solid state 1968 RCA with a flaky audio output transistor just whipped the KLH in terms of sound quality. A song I know came on, and I took the opportunity to test the KLH's sound quality, and I was quite dissapointed. And also the bass control just crapped all over the place. Full bass, (which sounds like mushy garbage) or no bass. (Which also sounds like garbage.)
I have one of these. Needed a new filter cap and an extensive cleaning.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this is the best sounding solid-state radio I've ever heard. Once you get yours working, you will understand why these things have such a cult following.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I have two videos I made showing the before recapping and after. I would upload it to Youtube as an unlisted video, but I don't want to get a copyright strike.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

So does it sound better after the re-cap? How does it compare to the '68 RCA.

jr