Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra63 View Post
Doesn't anyone collect boomboxes?
I do
Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

here is my JVC RC-M75W

Quote:
Originally Posted by pustelniakr View Post
I have a nice JVC RC-717W, that I got when I was in Germany. Super sound, and it was advertised to have a "FULL 6000 milliwatts of Power!"

Rich P
its similar to yours I think

100_2779 17screen
JVC RC M75 W on the fence outside

JVC RC M75 W
100_3405 in th grass front
Old 12-25-2008, 07:18 PM
gear avalanche!

i had a kickass jvc from the 80's that sounded amazing for a boombox. it had 20w per channel, am/fm/sw cassette, and a phono preamp. used it to provide music at my restop on a charity bikeride and then ebayed it.

later on a picked up a sony apm series (square speakers) and a sanyo thats decently made. still have some of the components from a jvc mini compo i carried in junior high. those where damn cool. take two speakers, bolt mounting plates to them, stack the components, clamp the handle and you have a jvc mini compo. it was a component system that "could" be portable.

"as my jvc vibrates the concrete!"

light travels faster than sound...
this is why some people appear bright until they speak
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ive still got mine from 1981; its a PYE (Philips) with Dolby B, soft touch electronic tape controls, led rec/playback meters, bass and treble, and , I suppose, about 7-8 watts a channel. I never use it.................................cost me a bloody fortune when it was new! ... ianj
Old 01-17-2009, 06:33 AM
markdi

oops
Audiokarma
Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 AM
super modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen65 View Post

Partial to the Late 70s- early 80s Panasonic and JVC units.

Here's two excellent Panasonic units.

RX7000
RX7700
I have a Panasonic RX-5500, my only boombox. It was a mess when I got it and I did not expect much in terms of fidelity but I was very surprised by how good it sounds. Was going to link to a picture of it but found this instead -

RX-5500 T-shirt
Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra63 View Post
I can't imagine why Lasonics sell for so much, I always thought they were peices of junk, with their cheap looking plastic chrome plate look.
I was shocked a while back when I searched Lasonic on eBay and saw what they were selling for!

I bought one back around 1987-88 from Silo, paid about $79 for it (it was a TRC-9-something.) The salesman tried to get me to buy a JVC for $10 more, rightfully claiming it was a better machine (it had dual cassettes that loaded into a single door iirc,) but I really wanted the phono inputs and shortwave.

I can't complain really - used the thing for over ten years. The antenna broke off by 1994, the top cassette deck never did sound great, and after a few years the buttons for the bottom cassette started snapping out of their carrier (they simply laid in a track - held in by the cabinet. You never could turn it *really* loud without distortion. When I moved back home, I gave it to a friend of mine as I didn't have room in the car. If I still had it, it would probably reside in my shed/workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lasonic1.jpg (36.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg lasonic2.jpg (95.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by AUdubon5425; 04-22-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
<----Zenith C845

Panasonic RX-S5400 boombox

Here is my Panasonic RX-S5400 boombox, a trash find behind my apartment last year. The cassette deck was working, but I think a belt must have snapped, as the take-up hub spindle does not move when the deck is in playback mode. The radio, however, works well and sounds excellent. The only things I could see wrong with this unit as found were, one, the FM antenna was broken, two, the former owner had left the batteries in it for goodness only knows how long (the originals were still there), as several of them had leaked onto the battery contacts, and three, the battery compartment cover is missing. However, the AC power cord was still attached to the unit when I found it, so it was easy to test it when I brought it inside; worked as soon as I threw the switch.

This unit is a keeper, as Panasonic probably doesn't make big, hefty boom boxes like this one anymore, having switched to building and marketing CD/mp3/satellite radio players; the latter, of course, are much, much smaller than any boombox ever was--witness the very small "stick" mp3 players now available these days at Big Lots, et al. for $10 or less.

The price of SanDisk's "Sansa" mp3 player is coming down in a big way as well; the large-capacity players (with 2+ gigabyte storage capacity before formatting) can be had for about $30, with the original 512mb Sansa now selling almost dirt-cheap. I'd have one by now, but I just found out two days ago that the iTunes mp3 player does not support any other operating systems except Windows XP and Vista (I run Win98SE on a nine-year-old IBM Aptiva 595 computer, 128mb RAM and 600-MHz AMD "K7" processor). The only other way I am aware of right now to download to a portable mp3 player the music now on my computer would be to use my Winamp 5.3 media player, which is capable of downloading mp3 files to portable devices.

BTW, I took the attached picture of my Pana boombox in something of a hurry and in less-than-optimum lighting, so it will be dark (at least it looks that way on my old HP Pavilion mx70 monitor). If you supersize the image and increase the brightness of your monitor, however, it should show just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0337.jpg (25.2 KB, 31 views)

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sold my Sharp VZ-2000. Was a beast, with its 'both-sides-play' turntable system. Yikes...!

Got a pretty penny for it though.....
Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 PM
markdi

ke4mcl are you sure your jvc had 20 watts per channel ?

Probably not 20 w rms.

It would need a 80/100 watt ac power supply

or more than 15 alkaline d batterys.

maybe 20 watts per channel pmpo.
Audiokarma
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Underfunded Tinkerer

If ke4mcl is talking about the JVC PC-55, he's not exaggerating. It is rated at 27 wpc, the sticker lists power consumption as 93w, so this sounds like RMS power to me. If you heard my PC-55 driving my Monitor 10s, you'd believe it. I also own two of those APM-equipped Sonys he mentioned, and they are rated at 22w RMS per channel. Got one right here driving a pair of old Mission 700s (currently listening to the "Hatari!" soundtrack on the B & O 4002). Come to the get-together in Kelso, I'll have it there.

"Oh, a Menscher amplifier, A Rufus turntable and Palmer 2X speakers..." --Jerry Helper
Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 AM
markdi

with a 93 watt supply 20w per channel that jvc must have sounded pretty good.

I have a sony fh110wx sony mini system

apm speakers with active motion feedback.

I need to fix the foam on the woofers - to make it sing again.

I still need to order 1 more belt for the cassette deck
in my sony cfd 5 boombox.

the ac supplly in my cfd 5 has a 1.6 amp medium blow
fuse but the back pannel says 48 watts and the fuse has never been replaced so maybe it has a bit more power than 48 watts.

the power transformer is located up near an air vent in the top of the case.

I need to buy a digital camera.

the only reason I am awake right now is some one slashed all 4 of my car tires a few hours ago.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Underfunded Tinkerer

The Sonys I have are much earlier, The FH-7 Mk. II, one in black (US), and one in silver (Canada). From what I've seen, the later FH's became rather watered down, with twin cassette decks, and only Dolby B (though the wireless remote is nice). The FH-7 Mk II has dolby C, rare among portables. The surrounds in these speakers are cloth, no rot here.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...6&d=1218686579

"Oh, a Menscher amplifier, A Rufus turntable and Palmer 2X speakers..." --Jerry Helper
Old 02-01-2009, 12:57 PM
markdi

My fh110wx is anything but watered down.

It is the same size as yours but sony packed
more hardware into mine.

3 way super wide apm speakers.

Twin autoreverse cassette with dolby b and c.

each deck has 2 or maybe 3 motors.

Quick reverse with music search and blank skip
and auto tape type sensor.

digital tuner

5 band eq with spectrum analizer.

Amfb - active motion feedback control of the woofers.

There is a motion sensor built into each woofer.

Each speaker has 4 wires connecting the speakers to the amp.

Amfb = killer tight bass.

It is a portable system but to me it is not a boombox.

boomboxes must be able to run on batterys.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Raving HiFi Fanatic

Like everyone here, I've had a number of portables. The most notable are/were:

Pioneer RK-888 (still own this. I even have the tape displayed in the picture!)- Amazing cassette section, great sound and awesome tuner. One of the first portables with Type II recording ability.

Pioneer SK-71 (or 72, might have been a Pacific derivative product, I forget)- Awesome sounding, soft-touch control. These had a defect where playing source material with a fair amount of bass would get into the transport and cause audible intermodulation distortion. But still a sweet-sounding piece. Don't own this anymore.

Aiwa CS-880- Massive, was 400 bucks back in 1980! Passive radiator, amazing, deep bass, unbelievable sound. Soft-touch controls, one of the first metal-capable portables. Still own this.

Sony CFD-5- The first portable CD player boombox. APM speakers, great sound, nice full-logic deck. One of my all-time favorite portables. Still own this.

Oh, those were the days!

"Welcome (yeah), to Pacific (yeah), Stereooo-oh! Doo doo doo..."
Audiokarma