Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Help in identifying a couple channel 1 sets.

I have two late '40s Emerson TV's one looks like a 611 but has channel 1. Is this still a 611?

The other set I have looks like a 571. But again has channel 1. Is this still a 511?

Any help is appreciated,
Sean
Old 04-22-2020, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry for the typo. it was supposed to read is a Emerson 571 still a 571 when it has channel 1.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:50 AM
M is for Memory

IIRC 1948 was the year ch1 was eliminated. There were a number of models from various makers that were made before and continued after the change. Early examples of the Motorola VT-71 had channel 1 and later revisions didn't...and we still call both VT-71. The same logic should apply to your sets...as long as model number is labeled and chassis appear to be built close to one of the schematic revisions.

Some makers had many chassis revisions over the production run. The Motorola VT-71 used the TS-4 chassis and there were officially revisions A-J of the chassis...some sets have been found with a mix of different revisions circuit changes so there were some undocumented versions too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-23-2020, 11:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Part of the reason i was asking is neither of these sets have any identification. No model number tags. or any chassis numbers. but the schematics in the riders match. but not the photofact.

But i think the the question was answered

Thank You
Old 04-23-2020, 01:14 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65327vette View Post
Part of the reason i was asking is neither of these sets have any identification. No model number tags. or any chassis numbers. but the schematics in the riders match. but not the photofact.

But i think the the question was answered

Thank You
Your welcome.

Riders and Sam's schematics often were published during different revisions of a chassis and often only 1 or even neither will be a perfect match to a given example of a set...if restoring a set and a part don't match leave it as that value unless it looks like it was cobbled in as a replacement by someone inexperienced/sloppy... atleast until you rule out any other circuit faults.

One other thing to consider: sometimes a maker would put the same or nearly the same chassis in different cabinets and you could swap chassis between cabinets...if there was a model with similar chassis that would fit the cabinet that could have been done. In a given model year a maker could have 1-5 chassis numbers and 100 unique cabinet model numbers for the different cabinet options... with most of the cabinets sharing a chassis with many other models....this was more common in the 50s onwards, but there are 40s examples like the RCA 630TS, 630TCS and 8TS30 all having the same chassis.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 04-23-2020, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65327vette View Post
I have two late '40s Emerson TV's one looks like a 611 but has channel 1. Is this still a 611?

The other set I have looks like a 571. But again has channel 1. Is this still a 511?

Any help is appreciated,
Sean
I remember seeing a couple of early sets that had channel 1. They appeared to have an RCA three 6J6 tuner, even though they weren't RCA clones.
The really early Admiral used it before the Standard Coil tuners and possibly Emerson and others.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:52 PM
John Q

It’s a model 612

They are as rare as hens teeth.

Last edited by charokeeroad; 04-24-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have an early 571 with the channel 1 RCA tuner, and all those 25Z6 rectifier tubes, so there are probably more out there.