Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 PM
David Thomas

Clegg Thor 6

My newest acquisition: a Clegg Thor. One pic is the transceiver, and the other is of the companion power supply / modulator chassis.

Clegg brought out the Thor in about 1963 as one of the first true "transceivers" to hit the market. It puts out about 43 watts using a plate & screen modulation scheme with a pair of 6BQ6GTB modulators and a 6883 final.

When I got it, the emission levels on the modulators checked beyond weak (well into the replace section of the meter on my checker) but it sounded good on the air despite this. With new modulator tubes and filter caps in the power supply, it now sounds great. The only other issue was the S meter wouldn't zero, which was corrected by replacing the 0A2 voltage regulator tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thor1.jpg (58.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Thor2.jpg (120.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Nice rig!

I sure do enjoy playing with and resoring tube ham gear, but I find that it seems to be more of a fight to get it within a band and mode of someone to talk to than it was worth. Pity really. Do you anticipate being able to find anyone to talk to with it?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:21 PM
David Thomas

Luckily, there's quite a bit of 6 meter AM activity in the Knoxville area. The local club runs a 6 meter net every Sunday evening that attracts 30 to 40 check-ins (FM, SSB, and AM) and we also have the "Antique Modulators Net" twice a month specifically for 6 meter AM tube guys.

When the summer "sporadic E" season begins, the chances of DX go up. If the band is really open, and stations are rolling in strong on sideband, I'll often fire up an AM rig and find someone to talk to by calling CQ on the AM calling frequency (50.4 MC). Of course, most of the time 6 meters is dead, but when it opens up it makes it all worth it
Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Nice rig!

I sure do enjoy playing with and resoring tube ham gear, but I find that it seems to be more of a fight to get it within a band and mode of someone to talk to than it was worth. Pity really. Do you anticipate being able to find anyone to talk to with it?
If you have a 6 meter AM rig, sporadic E propagation has been great all month so far. We had a guy 750 miles away in Texas check in on our AM net last Sunday night.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Administrator

I keep hearing about openings on 6m, but my antennas only do 10 through 80. Between MARS and Radio Relay International Digital traffic handling, all of my HF time is pretty much "business". I don't think I've had more than 2 HF QSO's this year outside of MARS.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM
<----Zenith C845

I blush to admit that you are doing better than I am as far as making use of your amateur license goes, Tim, even if your operating is almost entirely MARS and the digital message net you mention. I can get on HF using Echolink (can't erect antennas for my HF rig in my apartment due to space limitations) and on 2m with an Icom IC-T22A HT (hand held 2-meter radio), the latter on a weekly roundtable on the local radio club's 2m net, but I haven't been on either longer than I care to remember. I just tested my Echolink setup about a half-hour ago through its test server, however, and it seems to work. Hopefully, that will give me some incentive to actually use the system for real contacts.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:04 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
Luckily, there's quite a bit of 6 meter AM activity in the Knoxville area. The local club runs a 6 meter net every Sunday evening that attracts 30 to 40 check-ins (FM, SSB, and AM) and we also have the "Antique Modulators Net" twice a month specifically for 6 meter AM tube guys.

When the summer "sporadic E" season begins, the chances of DX go up. If the band is really open, and stations are rolling in strong on sideband, I'll often fire up an AM rig and find someone to talk to by calling CQ on the AM calling frequency (50.4 MC). Of course, most of the time 6 meters is dead, but when it opens up it makes it all worth it
I am happy to see 6 meter activity in and around Knoxville. And also glad to see the Antique Modulators Net for AM tube fanatics.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
I am happy to see 6 meter activity in and around Knoxville. And also glad to see the Antique Modulators Net for AM tube fanatics.
I call the 6 meter net for the local ham club on Sunday nights at 9:00. It starts on the 53.77 repeater, and I'm sure you can get into that machine from your location. It would be great to have you check in some time!