Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Depends on the size, voltage rating of the capacitor and quality of the capacitor, but lower esr is better. I printed out this scale as a guideline, and find it useful.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/a...003-jpg.84737/

It is also useful to compare readings to those taken on a new good quality capacitor of the same size and voltage rating. On large capacitors, say under one tenth of an ohm or lower, you may need to zero out or just subtract the test lead resistance to get a better reading.

jr
Old 06-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Depends on the size, voltage rating of the capacitor and quality of the capacitor, but lower esr is better. I printed out this scale as a guideline, and find it useful.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/a...003-jpg.84737/

It is also useful to compare readings to those taken on a new good quality capacitor of the same size and voltage rating. On large capacitors, say under one tenth of an ohm or lower, you may need to zero out or just subtract the test lead resistance to get a better reading.

jr
OK, so which leads should I use on the ESR meter to test the Capacitors? It has 3 leads a red, yellow and a green lead, and I'm assuming that I just need to use 2 of the 3 leads for the ESR test.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Banned

Well I think I might of found one of the faulty capacitors in the westinghouse TV that was causing it not to power on, it was a 150MFD 450V electrolytic capacitor that measured at about 135 MFD and ESR measured at a whopping 8.5 ohms. So I think that might of been why the TV wasn't powering on considering it was the main filter cap for the power supply, at least I think that's what it is.

EDIT: I retested the capacitors again, and there were a few capacitors that did actually test off from where they should of been, so it seems I will have to replace some capacitors on the power supply board for the westinghouse tv.
C46, C45, C59, C49, C11, C69, and C17 are the ones that measured unacceptable.

Last edited by Captainclock; 06-19-2016 at 05:10 PM.