Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

From the June 1955 issue of FARM JOURNAL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FARM JOURNAL.JPG (163.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
Im thinking the CRT he is using in that avatar is the one he cam and picked up from me, from a scrapped GE. good CRT P.S. the wheel operates at a very low RPM, its hardly audiable. unless its scratching against something of course, or if the motor is shot.
Yep, that's your 12KP4 making the image. It's pretty bright too.

It's possible, though time consuming and tedious, to make a color wheel spin very quietly. It has to be carefully assembled and all the mechanics in the best possible alignment. The most important thing is to 'static' balance the wheel to the greatest degree possible. I made a plywood 'knife edge' balancer so that the wheel can rotate freely while positioned on a shaft sitting on the two level knife edges, which are actually two large glue clamps.

The wheel will roll one way or the other due to gravity until the heavist part is at the bottom. You adjust the wheel position on the hub to re-center it until it doesn't roll any more. Then it is 'balanced'..That is the tedius part.

The Col-R-Tel wheel is mounted to the center hub with 7 screws. The screw holes in the wheel are slightly larger than the screws, so by loosening them, you can adjust and center-position the wheel on the hub for best balance.

After much tinkering and setting up the balancer, it took me an hour or so of fiddling using this method to get the balance "right". It makes a significant improvement in how the system works and how easily the wheel syncs up to the video.
The result is a quieter spinning wheel, less load on the motor and the
rubber drive belt.

Cliff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Static Wheel Balancer.JPG (48.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
Im thinking the CRT he is using in that avatar is the one he cam and picked up from me, from a scrapped GE. good CRT P.S. the wheel operates at a very low RPM, its hardly audiable. unless its scratching against something of course, or if the motor is shot.
Yep, that's your 12KP4 making the image. It's pretty bright too.

It's possible, though time consuming and tedious, to make a color wheel spin very quietly. It has to be carefully assembled and all the mechanics in the best possible alignment. The most important thing is to 'static' balance the wheel to the greatest degree possible. I made a plywood 'knife edge' balancer so that the wheel can rotate freely while positioned on a shaft sitting on the two level knife edges, which are actually two large glue clamps.

The wheel will roll one way or the other due to gravity until the heavist part is at the bottom. You adjust the wheel position on the hub to re-center it until it doesn't roll any more. Then it is 'balanced'..That is the tedious part.

The Col-R-Tel wheel is mounted to the center hub with 7 screws. The screw holes in the wheel are slightly larger than the screws, so by loosening them, you can adjust and center-position the wheel on the hub for best balance.

After much tinkering and setting up the balancer, it took me an hour or so of fiddling using this method to get the balance "right". It makes a significant improvement in how the system works and how easily the wheel syncs up to the video.
The result is a quieter spinning wheel, less load on the motor and the
rubber drive belt.

Cliff