Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 PM
AK Member

Hello
Doug and old-tv-nut... I am just someone who appreciates electronics (except I am struggling with the logistics of this blog as a newbie). Electronics is in my blood simply because I grew up with a dad who brought home 3-4 tv sets at one time and stacked them on top of each other for "field testing". :0) really! That's what he said.

I remember our "clicker" actually clicked! and it had two switches, one for changing the channel and one for on and off. Then there was the "works in a drawer" and the "instamatic" for dimming or brightening the picture screen on the tv. (a sensory spot on the front panel to match the level of light in the room).

Life in the plant was not good before the 1974 purchase, and the transition to a better work environment did not happen over night. But I do think the Japanese may have invented mass lay-offs. No offense but it was like a chopping block. Dad came home white as a ghost on those days. The company meant everything to him. Post WWll work ethic. How could he be responsible for giving someone the "ax". He swallowed all that stress.

He had to have worked there for 40 years. I think life got better eventually within the Quasar company. Headquarters moved to New Jersey, home of Panasonic and MECA (Matshusita Electronic Company of America). But remember, Motorola severed all ties to this company in 1974 and got out of the tv business all together. Motorola cellphones were a completely different product line unrelated to Matsushita employees, despite anyone working there with asian descent.

This year 2008, the name will be Panasonic (world wide) no more National, or Matsusita. Even though the old cronies who shepherded this company through many economic, cultural and technological trials are now long gone.

My dad's name was Merlyn Armstrong. He was director of engineering for several years. Died may 18, 1983. Age 56 at work. Could have used a defibrillator back then !! Just wasn't enough voltage for personal use at that Quasar Franklin Park location in '83 !!! JUST KIDDING,

Is digital really a lot better than analog? I'm holding on to our "photo slides" - digital reproduction is limited quality for printing, right?

Nice photos of the Quasar building. !!!! Doug. Hang on to them, please?