Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:17 AM
Местное и дх радио

1967 Motorola 9” portable

Got this set the other day for $10 which is ok I guess. Didn’t try it out when I got it. Turned it on when I got home and no sound and had almost no vertical because one or more of the jap made caps were bad. Replaced the Jap caps and I now have a full blank raster, and thats it, no sound still and the tuner doesn’t seem to do anything, I’m sort of suspecting these west German ero caps. Will replace them soon and see what that does.

This set was assembled September 1967 in Quincy, Illinois. Uses a HV rectifier tube and the rest is transistor. Pretty cute set.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Reminds me of those tooob GE 9" little guys that were so pervasive in the mid-late Sixties. Remember they came in a multitude of colors, hands or no handles UHF or no UHF. They pulled signals in like crazy, too- There was one in the pro shop in this golf club my dad belonged to in Boone, NC, The nearest TV stations were ones we also got at home from Tri-Cities, Tennessee, & they were usually "Clear as a Bell"...
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

This could be the model I worked with as a newb in Moto B&W TV engineering in Franklin Park, IL. I was assigned to jeep a video input on a small set (this model or similar?) so that they could be sold as inexpensive closed-circuit TV monitors.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I wonder, too, if the 9" models were US mfger attempts to try to stave off Japan, Inc... They gave you a bigger picture, were cheaper-a 5-303W Sony a few yrs earlier was right at $300 & maybe they DID give you a better picture. Never understood why Zenith or RCA, when confronted w/Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, et al, didn't kinda throw down the gauntlet, introduce a 5-9" all solid state COLOR set, & say, OK, boys, top THIS... That would have blown Der Nips into the weeds circa 1967 or so...Especially if they hadn't so badly "Cheapened 'em up. I remember going into a full line RCA dealer's place about 1970. You had "Entertainment Centers"-AM/FM/turntables/TV, & maybe an 8 track all wrapped up in plastiwood, carnival plastic grade knobs & plywood that would fall to pieces if you spilled a drink on it. Those bad boys were Muy Expensivo, but they were so gotdang cheap & shoddy , they were hardly worth dragging home. If the electronics were of no better quality than the cabinetry, no wonder they were discontinued by the late Seventies. The American electronics industry has always bleated about Japan eating their lunch, & there's a lot of truth in that, but A goodly amount of blame is squarely laid at the feet of the companies themselves, I think. They wouldn't innovate, they spent too much time worshipping the FALSE god of Cost Accounting, & just basically "Didn't Get It." All the Sonys I've bought over the years, the only one I ever had to get someone in to set up had been the last one-A 55" screen model. And set up basically involved just mounting it on the wall. NONE of the Trinitrons ever needed set up-you just took 'em outta der box, hooked up the cable, plugged in the power, & you were all set. I remember my next door neighbor was an appliance dealer-And he kept a guy to "Tune up" the TVs til way in the '80s.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 PM
I love old stuff

Intresting analisis, Sandy_G.
Is that true that Japanese tv sets where more relaible the ones Made in U.S.A.?
Audiokarma
Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Intresting analisis, Sandy_G.
Is that true that Japanese tv sets where more relaible the ones Made in U.S.A.?
Probably depended if you bought better quality brands/models of American sets or not...Our best was better, but we also made complete garbage.
The American sets were often easier to get fixed, some of the tube era Japanese stuff was not as service friendly and some techs tried not to service it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Not at 1st, I don't think. Back when Japanese stuff 1st started showing up, it was kinda laughed at. Then, somebody clued them into this quality control guru, a Dr. Deming. They took his principles to heart, & next thing you knew, Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi., et al had become world class builders of consumer electronics. Of course, there was a lot more to it than just that, but Dr Deming's principles should not be underestimated. The Americans were more interested in squeezing the last penny of cost out of a product, the Japs were more interested in improving the quality & reliability of their stuff. It worked undeniably well in electronics, & then in cars, virtually any industry the Japs decided to delve into. The company I worked for-Gravure printing-we were having quality problems as well, we got Dr Deming to come, he spent quite a bit of time w/us & turned our plant around, too.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 PM
I love old stuff

This Dr. Demming? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming
Old 01-15-2019, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I wonder, too, if the 9" models were US mfger attempts to try to stave off Japan, Inc... They gave you a bigger picture, were cheaper-a 5-303W Sony a few yrs earlier was right at $300 & maybe they DID give you a better picture. Never understood why Zenith or RCA, when confronted w/Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, et al, didn't kinda throw down the gauntlet, introduce a 5-9" all solid state COLOR set, & say, OK, boys, top THIS... That would have blown Der Nips into the weeds circa 1967 or so...Especially if they hadn't so badly "Cheapened 'em up. I remember going into a full line RCA dealer's place about 1970. You had "Entertainment Centers"-AM/FM/turntables/TV, & maybe an 8 track all wrapped up in plastiwood, carnival plastic grade knobs & plywood that would fall to pieces if you spilled a drink on it. Those bad boys were Muy Expensivo, but they were so gotdang cheap & shoddy , they were hardly worth dragging home. If the electronics were of no better quality than the cabinetry, no wonder they were discontinued by the late Seventies. The American electronics industry has always bleated about Japan eating their lunch, & there's a lot of truth in that, but A goodly amount of blame is squarely laid at the feet of the companies themselves, I think. They wouldn't innovate, they spent too much time worshipping the FALSE god of Cost Accounting, & just basically "Didn't Get It." All the Sonys I've bought over the years, the only one I ever had to get someone in to set up had been the last one-A 55" screen model. And set up basically involved just mounting it on the wall. NONE of the Trinitrons ever needed set up-you just took 'em outta der box, hooked up the cable, plugged in the power, & you were all set. I remember my next door neighbor was an appliance dealer-And he kept a guy to "Tune up" the TVs til way in the '80s.
It's a well known fact that the Japanese firms were "Dumping", that is selling a product cheaper in the US than it can be bought in Japan, to get a foothold in the US. I Don't think Sony ever did that. Their products were always expensive.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yep ! If your company decides to adopt "The Deming Philodsophy" ,hold on to yer rear end, you're gonna be working harder than you ever have in yr life.. But it also means they're SERIOUS about wanting to be an industry leader.
Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 02:29 PM
David Thomas

In the service industry, parts availability was always a problem for the foreign companies, which made many American brands preferred by the technicians. In my area, we had several local companies who carried a full line of parts and service items for RCA, GE, Zenith, and Magnavox. They delivered weekly, and if you were in a hurry, you could jump in the truck and go pick up a part from the distributor's parts counter. To get parts for foreign brands meant ordering on the phone, paying shipping fees, and waiting a week or two for your parts.

Plus, many of the import brands had higher parts prices....especially Sony. Many people who brought in a Sony would mention the high price they paid to buy it, to which we'd think to ourselves "you aint seen nothing yet, wait until you see how much replacement parts cost".

Further, most of the American manufacturers took good care of their authorized service centers (until the mid-1990's). RCA and Zenith were always holding training schools, mailing tech-tips and materials to us, and they paid out warranty claims quickly. Getting a warranty claim paid from Goldstar, Samsung, or Sharp took forever, and if you forgot to dot an "I" or cross a "T", they denied your claim.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:55 PM
I love old stuff

Well, then what where the reasons for U.S.A. tv industry (and generally electronic consumer industry) went down?
Lack of inovation, dumping or there where any other reasons too?
In Romania there was some tv assambley in the '90's.

In order not be totally off-topic, I'm curios, what is the weight of the tv set from the 1st post?

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 01-15-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The American electronics industry has always bleated about Japan eating their lunch, & there's a lot of truth in that, but A goodly amount of blame is squarely laid at the feet of the companies themselves, I think. They wouldn't innovate, they spent too much time worshipping the FALSE god of Cost Accounting, & just basically "Didn't Get It."
Now china has made moo goo gai pan of both sides.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well, then what where the reasons for U.S.A. tv industry (and generally electronic consumer industry) went down?
Lack of inovation, dumping or there where any other reasons too?
In Romania there was some tv assambley in the '90's.

In order not be totally off-topic, I'm curios, what is the weight of the tv set from the 1st post?
Basically, the Nixon administration traded our consumer electronics industry for a military base in Japan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aesJTsZqm6c - this is a fascinating documentary that was made as it was happening. It's mostly focused on Motorola and Zenith but the other brands were sunk at the same time.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

One of these days all those 4.5 gazillion people who live in China are gonna wake up & tell their red overlords they'd BETTER start providing a living wage-Or else. Or so we can hope... Hey, I think everybody in the entire world oughta have a Vista Cruiser, 3.2 young'uns central heat 'n'air, a ginormous Teevee & as many loudenboomers as they want & can afford... In other words, EVERYBODY oughta be able to be a middle-class Murrican or Canuck. A lot of folks would be INFINITELY better off, especially if we could get all the idiot gummints all over the world to take a chill pill or 3 & STAND DOWN. Ain't gonna happen, I know, but havin a basically Western Yoorup, N American or Australian lifestyle for EVERYONE on this little bluish ball, I think, would not be all THAT horrible... If we could do that, I'm sure we could figger out how to feed & provide health care, too.