Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm glad i started this thread.
I had the pleasure of reading some real well written essays!
I never was that great at creative writing, as my thoughts are all over the map.
All I can say is a early Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm like more than a few of you, I never had any Kids, either. Lauriann HAD a daughter, but they got "Sideways" w/each other right after we got married, & they haven't spoken in years. She has 3 grandchildren that LA's NEVER met, but Bethany is more than happy to let HER kids be LA's "grandkids". The little boy, Logan, AKA "Boogie Butt", he HAS to be ON LA whenever she's around. NOT next to her, not just touching her, ON her. The little girl, Lexie, I have a feeling will be that bad, she's only about 5 months old now. Logan is 2 & a half. We STILL have NO idea why Elizabeth fell out SO BADLY w/her mother. At our wedding, she was all lovey-dovey, & kept going on about how she was looking forward to having me as a Step-Dad. Then, after they got back home-NADA. Been that way ever since. I didn't say or do ANYTHING to make her mad-I was on my Ps & Qs. Oh, well. her loss is Bethany's gain.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Not sure how I got here.

As I remember now a days there are only 2 Christmas "songs" I like and look forward
to hearing, And I think they are Christmas Rapping by the Waitresses, and Father
Christmas by the Kinks, In some ways they both say it all for this 2015 ish time period.
Today I listed to either internet radio, Hair Nation on XM, Youtube, or news. So the music
is pretty tight around 80's hair metal, so they don't go off track and play anything as
awful as say "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" - Which I consider to be the worst
of the holiday horror hits that keep making a comeback.... I'm one of those persons
who mutes the tv during commercials, and gets most of the commercials I hate within
the first few bars of the music, even if I have to run across the room to do it, So holiday
music ranks up there with Jan from Toyota, I'll mute it before she says 3 words....

Not that I'm 100% anti Christmas, I'll try and catch each broadcast of Shepperd's
Christmas Story, and That old B&W one with Jimmy Stewart, Bedford Falls somthin.....

I think the feeling of "Need to figure out what to get ______" each year, and then go
off the day after to start the return ritual ended it for me... That and the driving looking,
and the parking lot insanity, and drive 50 miles and "Oh - that guy over there got the
last one" And Mom would always make it hard by saying "I don't want anything".....
Finally I applied that to the whole Holiday.... Don't get me anything, and I ain't
getting anyone anything..... Me and the wife do a quiet dinner out somewhere
sitting near the window watching others go nuts..... It's not bad......

Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You're a man after my own heart, Squirrely-Whirley !
Old 11-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
On the tele side .ABC/Family will be doing their 25 days to Christmas again this year.Just love those classic Rankin -Bass classics.I notice myself with the stores now opening on Thanksgiving.Atlease it maybe lower the tide of shoppers on black Friday morning.

It's sad to see people get trampled on and get killed for a sale of a 50 inch flat screen TV for $250 or 300 bucks.Somebody did get trampled on and died down in Long Island couple yeas ago.

We only have one station here that will go Christmas next week .Maybe some other here will go too.

I agree with Dieseljeep some format changes probably will happen with the stations with low arbs after the season is over.

Nice story Sandy G and NowhereMan 1966.
Yeah, I like those old Christmas cartoons too, I don't see them as much, I only have antenna TV but they do bring back memories. I remember when I was little, Mom sat with me on the floor and we watched them together.

Squirrel Boy, you're dead on the song about "Grandma Got Run over By a Reindeer," that song drives me up the wall, it is played too much. I also like the Kinks song from 1984 or so as well.

BTW, being TV related, I remember when I was a kid, the networks would run Saturday cartoons on the Friday after Thanksgiving too.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:58 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

My favorite Christmas song is the parody of "Iron Man"......

I am Santa Claus....Ho ho ho

How much does he weigh.
How do the reindeer pull his sleigh
Leave him cookies and beer
He'll visit your house first next year.......
Old 11-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep
A while back, the stations would start playing Christmas music at 6:00PM on Christmas Eve, which was perfect!
Yes and it was GOOD christmas music!!

NOW ITS TODAYS GARBAGE WHICH I DONT LIKE @ ALL!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the 80's stores would play bland instrumental xmas music.. you could tune it out, and even if that didn't work it wasnt the same recording over and over.. Now they just seem to play 20 or so "classics" over and over and over... you can only hear 'rockin around the xmas tree" or Bing crosby's White Christmas so many times... Sometimes Ive left a store because a song came on I just cant stand again...
Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
Back in the 80's stores would play bland instrumental xmas music.. you could tune it out, and even if that didn't work it wasnt the same recording over and over.. Now they just seem to play 20 or so "classics" over and over and over... you can only hear 'rockin around the xmas tree" or Bing crosby's White Christmas so many times... Sometimes Ive left a store because a song came on I just cant stand again...
Just tune in 95.7 and listen for a day!
You'll hear, some of the lousiest cr*p, you ever heard. The XMAS recordings made in the last 20 years, by groups, I never heard of. You'd swear they have a stack of those 97 cent Xmas LP's.
Audiokarma
Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think I could handle 95.7, but I do plan to get out my wind up phonograh and play xmas 78s while decorating the tree.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

"Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" about ALWAYS does it to me..
Old 11-25-2015, 07:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

I hate xmas music, and I always have.

My only solace when they get stuck in my head is to change the words to something completely inappropriate and unchristian so I can giggle like a 4th grader.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:36 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I remember working at an EXXON station (graves) and taking my sony walkman with alligator clips on the phones jack and cutting into the input side of the MUZAK amp system and unplugging the tuner part. Customers LOVED my tape collection all night.
End of shift, unhook my clips and plug the tuner section in and back to hell for the dayshift

Its not officially Christmas to me till i hear Cheech&Chongs "Santa claus and his old lady" on the radio...

SR

Last edited by Boobtubeman; 11-25-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Why??........ Why NOT??????
Old 11-26-2015, 06:25 PM
TheUniversalDave1

My local AM station started playing Christmas on September 25. That's a bit extreme. I have a video of it on my Youtube channel.
Audiokarma