Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Thumbs up Rare 8-track deck

I would probably attract a lynch mob at AK for talking about such a thing. Well, not really...

Anyway, I have seen a handful of automotive cassette decks with a record function, but never an automotive 8-track deck. It's not something I would pursue, in spite of being an 8-track enthusiast, especially at the price the seller wants, but I thought it worth a mention. According to the listing title, it only records in mono, but I don't see anything in the photos indicating that, and the manual appears to be sealed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310698520910

Recording isn't something I would want to try to concentrate on while rowing through gears. Of course I met one guy with a 5-speed '84 Tempo who said something like he would have a cigarette going while holding a Tim Horton's coffee cup in his teeth while driving. To each his own. Here it's illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving; I wonder how the cops would handle recording?

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-16-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I only remember one cassette deck that recorded in the car. I don't remember at all WHO made the thing, but if you liked whatever was on the radio, apparently you could just hit a single button and start recording it.

It seemed like a valid idea at the time, but I guess you would have to have a blank cassette sitting somewhere, and sitting RIGHT at where you wanted to start recording at all times.

I think the ONLY 8-track recorder I ever played with was some '70s "all-in'one" stereo system (Electro...or somesuch). I used it to record my STYX albums to 8-tracks at the time I wish I still had those tapes around. I would get an 8-track for the Vega.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I used to have a Panasonic RS-806US recording deck. I regrettably gave it away when I temporarily got out of 8-tracks in 1999 or 2000. Old habits die hard though, or in my case just go dormant. Plenty of those Panasonics on eBay, someday I'll get another. I have six 8-track car stereos, all Ford units. My first stereo was a Sears unit with 8-track. The 8-track soon quit though, and it wasn't until long after that I realized it was a bad belt. It wouldn't change programs either. Finally, what was probably a cheap BSR turntable froze up, so only the radio still worked.

One thing I forgot to mention before, something that big wouldn't even fit under the dash of a 1984 or later Lynx. 1981-83 is no problem, as long as it doesn't have the full console. The ash tray would need to be removed, but I wouldn't care about that. Actually, I would probably opt for a CB radio in that space.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Early 70's - Chrysler's optional cassette deck could record and came with a microphone. It was a separate unit mounted on the transmission hump.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Oh yeah, I have seen those.
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I havent heard an 8 track since the 80s -- Wouldnt mind hearing another
Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Funny, I didn't hear an 8-track until the early 90s, at least I don't think so. Lots of players and tapes to be had, just make sure to get a player in which the head isn't held in place by plastic with a set screw in the top, the plastic would often fatigue-crack. As for the tapes, their common ills are easily fixed. Lots of repair stuff available from Kate's Track Shack. The foil needed for the splices can probably be found at your local hardware store.

Not many appreciate these, so have at it, it would be good to hear of another "catching the bug".
Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
M is for Memory

If you work on tube gear and restuff caps the foil from old paper caps makes a good replacement splice if the original is missing. I usually super glue and or use adhesive tape to fix broken splices.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Today, I bought a circa '75 Realistic 8-track recorder deck at the flea market for $4. In the '75 RS catalog, it was their TOTL model that sold for $149. A note on the recorder said they didn't know if it worked; which, means it probably doesn't work. However, it's so rare to see anything like this cheap anymore at the flea market; so, I went ahead and got it. It's getting so that many of these vendors think these things are worth $30+.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Old stuff for cheap is always good. Would you please post a pic? Also, what is TOTL? Probably an easy fix if there is something wrong with it.
Audiokarma
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I havent heard an 8 track since the 80s -- Wouldnt mind hearing another
I have not heard an 8-track tape since the 1970s, and I have no more desire to now than I did then, which was about zero (cassettes were so much better, except the pre-recorded ones).

Well, I do still have the AM/FM/8-track deck I removed from my 1974 GMC motorhome; it would be fun to get it working and find a tape to play on it. Probably needs to be Fleetwood Mac or The Eagles, or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
Also, what is TOTL?
TOTL means "Top Of The Line". An eight-track deck with Dolby noise reduction is definitely high-end for that format.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here it is:

Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Thanks. Quite a nice unit. Just noticed the Dolby NR button. Not sure if I ever saw that on an 8-track player before.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I need to dig out the Akai deck and post a picture of that one. That one is by far the most professional 8-track deck that I've seen.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I double checked and my deck with Dolby was offered in '78 and '79 for $179.
Audiokarma