Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:24 PM
thebigbread

need part number for icr-120 battery

i went to radioshack to get a replacment battery for my icr-120. they said i must have the part number. i asked to look through the special-order catalog, & they said "we dont have one". now i remember about 3-4 years ago they were throwing out the old special-order catalog (i think it was a 2002 edition) but i got rid of it. And whats worse, i cant find the part number. i know for a fact that the battery is a 60mah 1.2v, & you need to solder 2 of them neatly. has anybody ever replaced one of these rare batteries?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 PM
AK Member

re: need part number for icr-120 battery

I've built over 50 for resale, and replaced about a dozen of these batteries in the past year or so and offer the following:
FWIW, my service manual and owners manual specify 50mAH for the battery. I can still find NiCad cells (#N65BC - 65 mAH rated), but prefer to use NiMH cells today (#60H - offer ~30% more capacity in the same physical size, and are more "environmentally friendly"). If you can to find them locally, be sure they have solder tags spot welded to both ends. Any decent battery shop will spot weld 2 cells together for you - or you can solder the tags together to make a 2.44 volt series battery. A little shrink wrap will hold them together nicely. I had about a 25% success rate trying to solder to the case :-). An great alternative is to use #B40H NiMH cells. These are slightly smaller and have about as much capacity as the original NiCads. You'll likely find they are a lot easier to install, given the cramped space in the case (use a little foam rubber to pack them after installation to stop them flopping around) and will run for several weeks of typical useage before needing a top up charge.
I've found corrosion (hair thin wires) to be the main problem when installing batteries on the icr-120s - nowhere near as bad on the icr-100s.
Drop me an email if I can be of any more help.
Happy New Year. Haggis.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
thebigbread

If i got this the batteries professionally installed, how much do you think it would sell for?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
AK Member

need part number for icr-120 battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbread
If i got this the batteries professionally installed, how much do you think it would sell for?
Tough one to answer - kinda like asking what's a Ford Mustang (or 'Vette) worth. Condition is everything. There are so many variables: is it complete with charger, earphone and original box? Does it have it's key tag and the little "SONY" logo on front? Does it have the original user's manual? etc.
Keep an eye on Ebay (there's one needing a new battery - possibly more work? and it's missing the Sony logo - listed as I type). If yours has all the above accessories and works fine, I'd expect to get maybe $200.00 to $275.00? based on several working sets with new batteries I sold over the past year. YMMV of course.
Good luck.
Haggis.